Talk

Advanced search

Log fire

(7 Posts)
Pressie9 Sat 06-May-17 18:32:05

Would anyone have advice on buying a log fire. Those who have one ...any regrets??

PossumInAPearTree Sat 06-May-17 18:36:45

I love mine. Mine is actually a multi fuel so I can also use smokeless fuel which is good if I want to light the fire early in the day and keep it going all day.

Do read reviews of different models. Some are more effective with their heat output, will also light easier, etc.

cazzyc Fri 12-May-17 09:52:21

We have open fires, came with the house. Absolutely nothing like it! Also it's cheap and is a beautiful feature whether alight or not.

Ifailed Fri 12-May-17 09:58:49

It depends if you intend to use it as a 'feature' that is only lit on special occasions (e.g. xmas), or to heat a room. If the latter, you need to be prepared to clean it out regularly, expect a certain amount of dust/ash and to source a decent supply of logs, plus somewhere to store them. The flue will also need sweeping yearly.
Remember to factor in the cost, if required, of lining the chimney, a chimney pot, proper hearth etc. Make sure it's fitted by a HETAS registered person otherwise you could be invalidating your building insurance and hence any mortgage on the property.

yikesanotherbooboo Fri 12-May-17 10:26:32

Do you mean log burner or open fire?
We have both... log burner is much more efficient, very easy to light , less dusty and can be left i.e. Safer
Open fire looks lovely and warms room nicely but needs more care and attention and we use it more for special occasions
Agree need expert installation/ chimney lining and make sure you get the right size for the space needing heating
Btw we live the log burner and in right situation would highly recommend

AnarchyKitty Fri 12-May-17 10:33:44

I have two open fires and love them but the cleaning can be never ending! But I couldn't move to a house without them now.
I use a mixture of coal and wood in ours.
I am considering opening up the fire place in the bedroom and fitting a wood burner in this autumn.

80sMum Fri 12-May-17 10:40:42

We have a wood-burning stove and love it! Absolutely no regrets at all (except that we wish we had got it 20 years earlier!).

Most of the time we don't use the central heating, we just light the stove and open the living room door.

Ours is very economical to run because we don't need to pay for logs. If you need to buy logs, they can work out more expensive than gas heating. Installation is also not cheap. Ours cost about £4k altogether, £1k for the stove and the remainder for creating a new chimney breast and hearth and for lining the chimney.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now