Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Overwhelmed by living room.

(18 Posts)
user1492781016 Tue 02-May-17 21:03:30

I am hopefully (waiting for application to go through) moving house this week. We went to view it today it's a lovely detached house into two flats. My Mother in law lives upstairs so perfect for us.
The whole flat is rammed with original features tiled floors ect then we viewed the living room and WOW it was overwhelming if that makes sense it's all dark wood paneled and am nervous as to making it work with my current furniture think we might not use anything but our sofa and the coffee table in the pic (varnish it up) to put the TV on. What would you do with this room.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 03-May-17 07:50:10

I would spend HOURS on Pinterest and houzz scouring for inspiration. Take my time to figure out exactly what I wanted to do before I changed anything.

Exciting for you though - good luck!

PS You do get on with your mother-in-law VERY well don't you? It would be too close to family for me and I have a great relationship with my in-laws!

Ojoj1974 Wed 03-May-17 08:02:07

Fabulous features.
Keep it light and airy. Personally I would be tempted to go quite modern with the furniture to avoid it looking to far and heavy.

AnthonyPandy Wed 03-May-17 08:05:51

Sorry no advice other than to agree with Pinterest but just wanted to say WOW WOW WOW.

JT05 Wed 03-May-17 08:10:05

Fabulous features.
I'd do a lot of research into different styles and approaches. A pared down modern look might emphasise the beauty of the fire place, or a more traditional style might enhance its grandeur.
Why not make several mood boards in different styles, colour ways and see which you prefer. Houzz, Pinintrest and a few magazines should help.
The good thing is, should you want it, brown furniture is very cheap in the auctions, at the moment.

junebirthdaygirl Wed 03-May-17 08:11:31

Its a beautiful room..You could go like those old library type rooms you see in landed gentry houses or as already suggested totally the opposite with light coloured furniture. Lovely height. Cant go wrong!!

Leeloo2 Wed 03-May-17 08:14:33

Sorry, but I lol'ed at it being perfect because your Mil lives upstairs... Not many mn'ers would be saying that wink

Intransige Wed 03-May-17 11:16:56

Oh wow that's stunning! Lucky you smile

I think keeping things light and relatively modern is the way to go. A big rug would be good.

Firenight Wed 03-May-17 11:25:06

It's gorgeous and would work with my furniture which has all been passed down through the family. Keep the walls and curtains fairly light to balance the wood.

user1492781016 Wed 03-May-17 12:59:18

thanks for all your ideas I have been on pintrest this morning for kitchen ideas as that's quite vintage as well big pantry cupboard thing and cabinets with curtains ect. I didn't even think to look for the living room too.
Our sofa is a lightish brown we have a cream rag style rug which is definitely going in there but don't think our TV unit would work (ikea kallax) I can't wait to get in there.
I get on very well with my in laws at the moment we live in a similar set up but it's my father in law living in the flat above at the moment (there divorced but still friends) There is many perks ladies ....Baby sitting and with a baby due in four weeks she will be a massive help.
Yes moving and a new baby I must be mental confused

Stinkymimi Fri 05-May-17 19:16:30

Wow! Sooo beautiful as it is .... tread carefully, keep everything else simple, don't change it too much.

Strikhedonia Sun 07-May-17 08:08:52

It's beautiful! I visited a property with similar features once, and the owner had painted the wood white. Please don't... I saw it before and after and it really didn't work.

Fairylea Sun 07-May-17 08:14:32

I know you're supposed to love old features and keep them but there's no way I could live comfortably with so much dark wood! I'd find it very oppressive. Personally (and I know many will be in shock horror) I would remove all the panelling apart from immediately above the fireplace and I would plaster everything smooth including the ceiling and decorate to my own taste (which is pale with accents of colour).

But yes, I know others will be horrified by the thought. grin

MovingtoParadise Sun 07-May-17 08:32:50

I would keep it all dark apart from above the wood and the ceiling which I'd paint a brilliant light reflecting white.

I'd then put a rug almost the size of the room which was a very pale colour with a pattern. If the top and bottom of the room are pale then you can have the darker in the middle.

I'd then put antique mirrors/sconces/candles on the panelled wall and fireplace to bounce light around.

And I'd go with light accessories, watercolour silk cushions (Liberty have new ones this week) on the sofa. I don't like where the curtains are - if not overlooked I'd go without and just hang a silk at either end. If overlooked I'd go for silk usable curtains that hung at the outer edges.

It's a beautiful room, at Christmas it's going to feel very special.

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 07-May-17 08:43:27

You can sand and lime wash the panelling if you want it lighter.
But white ceiling, paler rug, light sofas will all look good.
Does the fireplace work?

Bluntness100 Sun 07-May-17 08:50:24

I'd have rhe wood sand blasted back to the original pale wood, I wouldn't lime wash it after though. Dark wood can be very oppressive in my opinion. I had the same thing and we had it all sand blasted and honestly it's like someone let the sunshine in. Attached is a google image of the kind of difference it makes. Your fire place will come up lovely, ours did and it really brings out any ornate carvings.

Carolinethebrave Wed 10-May-17 17:13:15

I'd sand and whitewash that floor and add a really pale rug
White ceiling
Cream or voile curtains
Agree about sandblasting if the panels are suitable for that

AppleAndBlackberry Wed 10-May-17 17:29:18

I think OP is renting? So panelling will have to stay. I think it's beautiful, just needs a bit of a clean up and maybe some heavy curtains and a large rug. I like bright colours personally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now