Talk

Advanced search

Large bedroom, dark walls- thoughts?

(21 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Mon 24-Apr-17 11:42:43

We're lucky enough to have a really big bedroom with a bay window and high ceilings. It's been beige since we moved in a year ago as other bits of the house took priority but I'm ready to do it now. I like the idea of dark walls, such as the dark teal in the attached pic, but am not sure if we should do all the walls and whether we go above the picture rail as well as below, and whether the ceiling should be dark too. Bay will have patterned roman blinds with a pale background, we'll have a pale rug and our bedding will be white.

JessieMcJessie Mon 24-Apr-17 11:43:31

Posted too soon. Here's the teal I like

SwedishEdith Mon 24-Apr-17 19:20:00

I've just used Inchyra Blue. We put back the picture rails and painted it white above.

This blog is good for dark colours www.madaboutthehouse.com/

NamedyChangedy Mon 24-Apr-17 19:24:05

I have a similar room and have just painted one wall F&B Hague Blue. It's beautiful; really anchors the room and makes everything instantly look more sophisticated (I think so anyway). Now eyeing up the rest of the house...!

Chunkamatic Mon 24-Apr-17 19:27:57

My bedroom is very dark green/blue) It's amazing I would go for it.
We painted above the picture rail but kept the ceiling white with white woodwork.

Semaphorically Mon 24-Apr-17 19:28:43

Ooh I love that colour. I'd go teal to the picture rail and then ceiling colour above it.

purpleshortcake Mon 24-Apr-17 19:29:42

Think that or a petrol blue would look great with the colour of wood in your wardrobe....

NapQueen Mon 24-Apr-17 19:30:40

We went for a similar colour in our big bay windowed bedroom.

It had previously been our lounge aswell then we swapped round. I absoloutley loved it and it never avtually felt dark.

We are now in the smaller "back" bedroom with only one small window and are about to paint it navy blue. Im imagining it will he mich darker due to the less sunlight.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 24-Apr-17 19:31:49

Love it! As PP mentioned, F&B Hague Blue is stunning and very similar to what you have posted. You can be cheeky and get B&Q to colour match it if you are on a budget.

DevelopingDetritus Mon 24-Apr-17 19:37:48

When I read your OP, the first colour that popped into my head was teal, spooky grin
I'd say one or two walls floor to ceiling in teal.
White ceiling. The only time I'd do coloured ceiling would be for a starry night one.

DevelopingDetritus Mon 24-Apr-17 19:38:23

*other walls white.

DevelopingDetritus Mon 24-Apr-17 19:43:51

Starry ceiling.

Griffalo123 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:47:04

We used the darkest shade of Homebase's Steel Symphony (flat Matt) and it's lovely. Our bedroom isn't large by any means and our parents (and us!) thought we had made a terrible mistake whilst painting but once finished we all love it!

We considered just doing one wall but I'm glad we went for it and did all of them. If you're doing it- go for it!

All our other rooms are a light grey or light shade of the same colour but it's this bedroom that gets the most compliments when people are having a nose!

We have a large window and door to a balcony, picture rail and triple door wardrobe all painted white which really helps I think- and a light carpet.

We did navy above and below the picture rail and are happy with it (pain in the arse to do neatly though!!)

Picture doesn't do it justice, especially as it's now nearly 8pm but it's surprisingly bright in the day and cosy at night.

Good luck- I'm sure you'll love it!

Griffalo123 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:48:07

The photo makes it look so dark and gloomy! Don't let it put you off! grin

Shortdarkandfeisty Mon 24-Apr-17 19:49:01

Do it, it's very Abigail Ahern. I love that colour

2017SoFarSoGood Mon 24-Apr-17 19:52:17

Do it, it is beautiful. Needs a white white ceiling (bright white) and woodwork to reall show it off. Just lovely. I am tempted.

Shortdarkandfeisty Mon 24-Apr-17 19:52:31

We have this colour in 2 rooms

www.littlegreene.com/juniper-ash-study

Shortdarkandfeisty Mon 24-Apr-17 19:56:33

This is an Abigail Ahern bedroom, she suggests painting up to the ceiling, which I think looks great

JessieMcJessie Mon 24-Apr-17 22:11:40

Ooh thanks everyone for the pics and encouragement. We have a fireplace in the room very similar to the one in the pic that shortdarkandfeisty posted, not sure DH would go for a creep skull in the bedroom though smile. I have not heard of a Abigail Ahern so am off to google her now...

RicketyCricket Mon 24-Apr-17 22:15:29

Do it OP. I love dark colours in bedrooms.

NapQueen - can I ask what exact shade that is? Moving into my new house in a few weeks and that's the exact shade I've been fancying for my bedroom smile.

NapQueen Mon 24-Apr-17 22:17:30

It was a Crowne Period paint. Cant remember the exact name, it was 8 years ago we painted it, but I will have a look online see if any of the names ring a bell....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now