Talk

Advanced search

Is grey 'over' for walls?

(23 Posts)
Shortdarkandfeisty Sun 23-Apr-17 10:19:45

I'm not sure, I still like it

Is it over?

CatsGoPurrrr Sun 23-Apr-17 14:12:42

Does it matter? I think you should choose a colour that you love, not because of a trend.

BreatheDeep Sun 23-Apr-17 14:16:01

Who cares? I've never followed fashions for home decoration. Just decorate it how you want as it's you that has to live with it.

shellhider Mon 24-Apr-17 01:01:38

Yes. It's going to go out of fashion now that I've painted my bedroom and the hall grey. Luckily I don't give a monkeys about what colour is in fashion, I just go with what I like.

Tootsiepops Mon 24-Apr-17 01:03:29

Yes. It's done. Totally, completely and absolutely finished.

Shell I've just done the exact same in my bedroom and hall!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 24-Apr-17 13:40:42

No. Well I hope not as I'm planning a lot of grey paint for our new house and like it! But yes, who cares as long as you like it in your own home.

Lostmyemailaddress Mon 24-Apr-17 13:45:25

If you like it go for it. My dc1 is 13 and has the grey I picked for my living room on his bedroom walls and loves it. He is really picky over colours and wanted just grey with white woodwork and black accessories while I have a dark duck egg blue and grey in the living room.

Callofthewild Mon 24-Apr-17 23:04:07

I think it is and it's now all about the dark inky blues. However, realistically grey is a lot easier to work with and you can put all sorts of colours with it so it's much more versatile. I think the dark colours will actually end up looking dated quicker whilst grey will end up derided as the magnolia of the 2010's but still widely used.

hmcAsWas Mon 24-Apr-17 23:06:05

Meh - another one who has recently had house painted varying shades of grey.

Coloursthatweremyjoy Mon 24-Apr-17 23:09:22

What shade of grey? We have a very, very, dark grey in our house which everyone is shocked by (everyone with no taste or imagination or grasp of atmosphere obviously). Apparently it's not "fashionable" but we don't care and we think it's stunning and anyway we live here so...

Paint what you like.

itsacatastrophe Tue 25-Apr-17 06:36:40

Grey is not over, although other colours come into fashion, grey is still classed as the fashionable neutral. It's the modern beige (and white is the modern magnolia)

Bluntness100 Tue 25-Apr-17 06:52:33

I don't get that it matters? Paint your walls the colour you like and looks good and fits with the house and your furniture. If bright orange became fashionable would you use that? I have grey in my downstairs hall and loo, I won't be changing it till it either needs redoing or I get bored of it....sod fashion.,😁

Newtssuitcase Tue 25-Apr-17 07:01:28

I agree that the interiors websites and magazines are showing a shift to both navy blues and to sludgy pinks (which will then probably shift back to beige). Grey's have been en vogue for a number of years now though suits entirely normal for the trends to change.

That doesn't mean that there won't still be lots of grey interiors and clearly there are loads of us with grey on our walls who are not immediately going to rush out and re-paint. Your home needs to reflect your taste and make you happy and comfortable.

(And speaking as someone with two rooms painted in navy blue I would never do it again - every tiny little scrape shows through as white and is glaringly obvious.)

Ketzele Tue 25-Apr-17 12:04:02

I agree with everyone else. Grey is now ubiquitous - it's the new magnolia. And the Abigail Aherne look is the new grey.

But most of us don't have high fashion houses - we want pleasant, neutral backdrops that don't have to be updated every couple of years. Grey, white and taupe walls all work really well and can be easily refreshed by changing your rugs and cushions.

I do think all-grey schemes are beginning to look very dated - where the walls, sofas, cushions everything is grey, especially a very cold silvery grey. I prefer a slightly warmer grey and lots of other colours - green, yellow, rust are my favourites - to warm it up.

The fashionable Abigail Aherne look - inky dark rooms - is fab but much harder to do well and will date quickly. I have a friend with wonderful taste who has redone her whole house in dark colours and I must say I think she's gone a bit far. It's just too much - I prefer the contrast you can by having dark rooms leading off a bright hallway, or vice versa.

The sludgy pinks can look wonderful but are even harder to get right. On a bad day they could look very like the dreaded magnolia which I truly hope will not come back - it's such an ugly colour. Ditto the 'hint of a tint' pastels which were everywhere in the 80s so probably due a comeback.

Newtssuitcase, I am literally about to begin painting my dd's room navy blue and have read your post with a shudder!

Newtssuitcase Tue 25-Apr-17 12:33:27

Ketzele Both DC's have bedrooms with navy walls (white woodwork and white above the picture rails). Honestly, within a month there were all sorts of scrapes and they're 12 and 9 so not babies. They are just so glaringly obvious because the paint/plaster beneath is so pale in comparison to the very dark walls. I go round frequently with a navy blue feet tip touching up. Its very annoying.

The rooms do look stunning though if you squint The white offsets the navy beautifully.

Newtssuitcase Tue 25-Apr-17 12:35:11

felt tip not feet tip!

Newtssuitcase Tue 25-Apr-17 12:40:02

DSis has just painted her newly extended living room sludgy pink. When I walked in I initially struggled to see the difference between that room and the newly plastered dining room next door. I'm not sure its a colour that will last. Think it's better as an accent colour. Reminded me a little of the 1990s trend for terracotta everywhere.

I have just added more mustard to my grey snug. It works beautifully with the grey. Initially I was cautious but it really elevates the scheme. Im also switching out the dark grey velvet winter curtains for some white summer curtains.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Tue 25-Apr-17 12:48:12

It's only paint - won't take much time or trouble to slap something else on top if you decide it's too dated.

I've got a light grey in my sitting room and still like it. It's a small south facing room so a cool neutral works well. I think one reason it's been popular is it's easy to get right in terms of accessories and accents.

Shortdarkandfeisty Tue 25-Apr-17 13:47:37

Interesting views! I have a grey bathroom and wondering about doing another room the same.

JaneJeffer Tue 25-Apr-17 13:59:14

I think she will regret that newts. Pink walls are impossible to live with!

mycatloveslego Tue 25-Apr-17 14:06:54

We've just had our house renovated and it's painted a mixture of Little Greene French Grey all over. It's a lovely neutral palette and very relaxing.
We love quirky accessories, bright colours and unusual wall art- it's the perfect backdrop to allow us to indulge our slightly eccentric taste without making the place unsellable in the future! (Plus you can change the colour scheme/design any time you like if you keep the background neutral)
If you like it, go for it!

nigelforgotthepassword Tue 25-Apr-17 14:10:40

I like grey. I'm hoping to paint some panelling in the new house (that I've only just put an offer in on,conditional on my selling my current house-but that in my head I've already fully renovated), a medium grey with potentially a darker grey sofa, and then some other brighter coloured bits, chair, throws, big pictures I've got-for accents.
It is everywhere-but so what really?
Im thinking of painting the kitchen units a sort of inky blue....probably with very light Grey walls...

Ketzele Tue 25-Apr-17 14:14:19

Little Greene French Grey is a really lovely colour, mycatloveslego. Can't imagine you'd ever get sick of it, fashionable or no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now