Talk

Advanced search

Would you throw this out?

(27 Posts)
MovingtoParadise Thu 20-Apr-17 19:44:26

I am having a terrible time trying to decide whether to throw 8 pairs of curtains out.

New house has ceilings that are too high/colours don't match/have plain blinds that go better.

No intention of moving for at least ten years. I would normally store them as replacing them if we were to move would be expensive. But 8 pairs of curtains takes up a lot of room for ten years.

hockityponktas Thu 20-Apr-17 19:51:24

I would hate to throw them out!
I would get my mum to turn the fabric into cushion covers, runners for bed/tablesmile

Shortdarkandfeisty Thu 20-Apr-17 19:51:50

I'd put them away and if I hadn't needed them in a year I'd chuck them

Shortdarkandfeisty Thu 20-Apr-17 19:52:30

Also, are they lovely curtains or expensive and well made? Or bog standard?

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 20-Apr-17 19:53:01

Put them in those vacuum pack things so they don't take up so much room.

Asmoto Thu 20-Apr-17 19:54:54

Are they a classic design, or do you think they might date?

DearMrDilkington Thu 20-Apr-17 19:55:16

Couldn't you donate them to a charity shop or sell them instead?

MovingtoParadise Thu 20-Apr-17 20:30:43

Yes by 'throw them out' I mean 'leave my house'. There's a charity shop 6 doors away.

They are lined, weighted, two pairs are silk. They are probably about £200 a pair to replace, they didn't cost that much when I bought them.

MovingtoParadise Thu 20-Apr-17 20:33:13

Yes, classic. One pair is toile de jouey, one pair is cream silk, one pair yellow silk.

All too short from my 12 foot ceiling heights now.

newmumwithquestions Thu 20-Apr-17 20:33:59

Do you have a loft you can burry them at the back of? Kids that may want them if they move? If so I'd store them.

carolinescustard Thu 20-Apr-17 20:35:56

Those are classics. I'd be tempted to store them actually.

millifiori Thu 20-Apr-17 20:37:50

There are curtain exchanges for good quality curtains. You can sell them and put the money towards some new decor that fits in hte new house. If you store them they'll fade unevenly and you won't want to use them. Damn good quality curtains. I'm so sick of ours but they just never wear out!

Runsforwine Thu 20-Apr-17 20:38:28

Me too, keep them OR you could give them to me for safekeeping 😉

Asmoto Thu 20-Apr-17 20:38:39

I would probably keep them unless I was certain I'd never be moving again - they sound really lovely and not difficult to match with decor - but I'm quite a hoarder so perhaps not a good example.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 20-Apr-17 22:08:10

I don't like too much clutter bug they sound lovely and I think I would keep them. Store in s dark place.

GrubbyWindows Thu 20-Apr-17 23:25:15

I am a clutterbug and I think get rid!!! They will most likely be not right for the next house either. Keep any you truly truly love and try to find a use for them, sell the rest.
I'd have left them in the old place personally!

Floggingmolly Thu 20-Apr-17 23:30:14

Why didn't you ask the buyers of your old house if they'd consider making you an offer for them? Same as Grubby, I'd have left them anyway. You must have known they wouldn't fit?

Jaagojaago Fri 21-Apr-17 05:18:17

If you're going to get rid I'd offer to buy them from you! We are re decorating and could do with new curtains smile

MovingtoParadise Fri 21-Apr-17 06:26:35

They weren't up in our last house, or the one before that grin

ICJump Fri 21-Apr-17 06:29:47

In that case I'd get rid of them. Three house moves.

MovingtoParadise Fri 21-Apr-17 06:30:07

We moved to a rental for a few months while we looked for somewhere to buy and had no idea if we'd need them so I kept them. The house before that was being knocked into flats and they wanted the house cleared.

We ended up free cycling a brand new washing machine, cooker, carpets, everything.

I'm really not going to move for at least ten years and I'm trying quite hard not to keep stuff I don't need. It's just really hard to get out of the mindset I might need that in the future.

And curtains are really expensive to buy new but not really worth anything second hand.

Penhacked Fri 21-Apr-17 06:32:18

Give them to charity or post on facebook to friends. You will probably have people biting your hand off.

MackerelOfFact Fri 21-Apr-17 06:36:39

If you have DCs who are teens or older I would keep them - they're likely to live in rented houses/flats at some point and not having to buy curtains is a godsend. Put them in a vacuum bag.

I've always nabbed old curtains off my parents for various rentals!

OhDearToby Fri 21-Apr-17 06:40:53

I'd get rid because I hate things lying around unused. Especially fabric things that'll take loads of space, go fusty and get mothed.

If you've not found cause to use them in 3 house moves I'd say it's v unlikely you ever will.

itsacatastrophe Fri 21-Apr-17 06:49:49

Just send them to the charity shop. By the time you may move again you might not like them anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now