Talk

Advanced search

Is there a colour which is like half strength Skimming Stone?

(10 Posts)
DarkBlueEyes Tue 18-Apr-17 14:14:01

And if there is, please can you tell me what it's called? I think SS is too dark for the rooms but the tone is perfect, I'd just like a few shades lighter.

Thank you

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 18-Apr-17 14:18:31

F&B website says it goes with Strong White - could you use that? Or Paint and Paper Library do several tones of some colours - there might be one there to suit.

DarkBlueEyes Tue 18-Apr-17 14:45:30

Thanks Shotgun. Strong white is too grey I think. I'm using it for the hallway though smile. I need a greigy beigey stoney colour, if that makes sense!

Underbeneathsies Tue 18-Apr-17 15:00:26

We used skimming stone in our three story stairwell, and it comes out lighter then you'd expect. It has a cool grey undertone which goes really well with our silvery grey carpeting on the stairs, and mahogany topped banisters. Having said that we have two mezzanine windows (one stain glass) so a lot of light floods in.

Also, don't discount satin slipper as it's a lovely neutral cool colour for a large area.

We have satin slipper in another light filled stairwell and it's a warmer shade, but still neutral (It's paired with a cream carpeting and banisters layout).

IMO what you need to avoid is the nauseating and pinkish colours like dimity /magnolia.

If the area you're painting is large, it will hold the 'stronger' neutral colour very well, without looking dark, or cold.
A paler, weaker colour can look very undressed, underdone and nude and can disappoint. It can end up looking like an undercoat.

UncomfortableBadger Tue 18-Apr-17 19:57:53

Victorian Lace from B&Q's own Colours range looks like a lighter, less intense Skimming Stone smile Just the right balance of grey, beige, pink and green to keep it interesting.

Haint Tue 18-Apr-17 20:04:26

I'm a fan of stony ground

DarkBlueEyes Wed 19-Apr-17 05:58:38

Stony ground is the right tone I think but may be too dark. I'm going to get a test pot of slipper satin and try that. I had a friend round last night and she thinks the room can take Skimming Stone from the test bits I've done - so it might be worth trying it at least on one wall to see. Thank you all.

Puffedsleevedress Thu 20-Apr-17 23:00:04

I have skimming stone in several areas of the house and it looks different in each one! In a room with large French windows it's very pale, and people often think the room is white or off white. In our hallway it looks much darker and has a slightly lilac hue. In the kitchen it looks like a pale grey. Not sure how helpful this post is now I've written it......

DarkBlueEyes Fri 21-Apr-17 12:02:16

Puffedsleeves it is very helpful thank you! One of the rooms I'd like to use it in is south facing with two large windows. The other is North facing again with two large windows. Both rooms will have cream furniture and curtains so I'm hoping it won't be too dark. you've been very helpful, thank you so much.

DarkBlueEyes Mon 24-Apr-17 14:41:28

THank you everyoone. I got a tester pot for Slipper Satin and it is perfect. Job done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now