Talk

Advanced search

How would you revamp this chair?

(9 Posts)
DearMrDilkington Mon 17-Apr-17 14:47:32

What could be done to jazz this up again? It clearly needs a new cover but what colour would you go for? What about the rest of it?

I love a bit of DIY but I'm pretty clueless.

DearMrDilkington Mon 17-Apr-17 16:44:39

Anyone?

wildbhoysmama Mon 17-Apr-17 17:55:26

It's a lovely shape and would be worth saving. The seat is actually a great colour- ochre is classic and goes great with grey - but u could change to whatever goes with your decor. I'm a huge fan of Orla Kiely fabrics or a classic Laura Ashley print ( some great new ones with animals on) in a sea green or eau de nil? The paint work could be white or grey? Plenty choice of colours in Annie Sloan/ Ronseal chalk paints. Hope that helps.

DearMrDilkington Mon 17-Apr-17 18:23:48

Lovely thank you! Do I need to sand it or anything before painting? I'm a complete amateur.blush

wildbhoysmama Mon 17-Apr-17 18:50:47

If you're wanting to get a smooth, clean, perfect finish you could sand and then use any eggshell at all. I'm more of the vintage/ shabby chic mindset and paint using chalk paint ( AS or Ronseal) directly onto the wood, then using their clear wax after ,then buffing. This method is easier, I think, but more expensive to buy initially however, if you then go onto do more projects u can use it all again. Ronseal do a very small tin which would do the chair and u can get it in B&Q. Ru planning to.cover the chair yourself? If so there are some great tutorials on Youtube and it's pretty straightforward, esp as u can cover any little mistakes with some new trim. It'll look fab.

DearMrDilkington Mon 17-Apr-17 20:08:34

I'm going to attempt to cover it myself, is a staple gun the easiest method? I can't decide on a fabric, there's so many!

wildbhoysmama Mon 17-Apr-17 20:39:47

I think for ur chair stapler is easiest. Once u get going you'll be hooked, stapling is addictive - so fast and u'll be so chuffed with yourself how differently it looks. If ur nervous you could try a plain piece of cotton first to act as a liner/ practice run.
Re: Material, just go to your local fabric shop and go wild with lots of little samples! Rem to.post how it turns out. Good luck.smile

DearMrDilkington Mon 17-Apr-17 20:41:57

Will do, thank you for your help. smile

wildbhoysmama Mon 17-Apr-17 20:45:12

Any time. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now