Talk

Advanced search

F&B Skimming Stone - cheaper alternative?

(16 Posts)
UncomfortableBadger Fri 14-Apr-17 17:38:16

Am after a neutral stony greige that I can pretty much paint the entire house.

After dozens and dozens of tester pots, have decided that F&B Skimming Stone is THE colour for our hallways, landings, stairs, kitchen and office. We have a three storey house so we'll need an obscene amount of paint for the hallways and stairs alone.

Have just priced up how much it will cost to do everything in Skimming Stone - bleeding heck! shock

Anybody aware of any colour dupes for Skimming Stone from other brands?

Have heard bad things about Valspar so wanted to avoid them if possible.

Alternatively, has anybody used the Dulux Mixlab at Homebase with any success?

Neolara Fri 14-Apr-17 17:45:55

stone This site gives alternative paints.

Nan0second Fri 14-Apr-17 17:46:06

Dulux dusted moss or pebble shore?

UncomfortableBadger Fri 14-Apr-17 18:05:58

Oh wow, Neolara - that site is fab. Thank you! Off to Dulux Trade we toddle smile

fabulousfrancesca Fri 14-Apr-17 23:24:36

I just used valspar in our bedroom, colour matched to f&b cornforth white. The quality is really good. Looks great, would definitely use again.

RitzyMcFee Fri 14-Apr-17 23:27:46

We just painted our whole house with Dulux and Valspar and Valspar was much better.

UncomfortableBadger Sat 15-Apr-17 18:41:17

Just in case anybody else is looking, although Rum Caramel 5 looks JUST like F&B Skimming Stone on the paint charts, it's nothing like it on the wall. It's a pink toned grey rather than a neutral stone sad

Probably good for those of you who are looking for an alternative to Cornforth White or Ammonite however smile

UncomfortableBadger Sat 15-Apr-17 18:41:43

Should say, Dulux Trade Rum Caramel 5

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 15-Apr-17 18:55:04

If you go into a Dulux centre and tell them you want F&B Skimming stone they know how to mix it in dulux paints!!!

GinAndOnIt Sun 16-Apr-17 03:55:51

I've had Dulux mix up a copy of Skimming Stone, it's a great colour. It doesn't have the same depth as F&B paint, but it's good enough for essentially pretty much half the price!

Tatlerer Sun 16-Apr-17 20:19:49

I like skimming stone, although find it looks completely different in a light-filled room (pinker somehow). I've picked 3 x F&B shades and 2 x Dulux shades for our house renovation (including skimming stone) and will most likely end up getting the F&B ones colour-matched because the cost-saving is just too tempting when you're painting a whole house...

mumma24 Mon 17-Apr-17 09:31:44

Definitely dulux Egyptian cotton, we also have skimming stone and they're very similar

wildbhoysmama Mon 17-Apr-17 18:00:57

I have found Valspar excellent- similar quality to Little Greene. I had F&B Down pipe colour matched for bathroom tongue and groove and it's superb, and have matched Laura Ashley Dove Grey in hall - their scrubable option is a must with 3 boys, bikes and scooters!

lashy Tue 18-Apr-17 22:53:13

Occasionally Homebase do 3 for 2 on F&B paint. Might be worth a little wait and see?...

BumWad Tue 18-Apr-17 22:54:04

We got our F&B paint colour mixed. - a Crown pro one. It was very good

lionsleepstonight Fri 21-Apr-17 18:31:45

Agree with pp about Dulux Egyptian Cotton, it's a good substitute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now