Talk

Advanced search

Painting fresh plaster

(7 Posts)
Banjopluckface Sun 09-Apr-17 10:58:16

Our walls and ceiling were skimmed on Wednesday and Thursday. We have had an industrial dehumidifier on during the day since then. The plaster is now a pinky colour - do you think it's ready to paint?

Can anyone also advise on the mist coat and painting please!

PeachesandPie Sun 09-Apr-17 11:09:18

Hard to say for certain if it's dry from the pic, but from experience we've always let plaster dry at least 2 weeks before painting.

For the mist coat we do half plain white paint half water (makes a massive mess!) then do a normal white coat before putting the colour on. We tried just putting the colour straight on top of the mist coat but needed 3 coats so now always do the second white coat first as it's loads cheaper.

Banjopluckface Sun 09-Apr-17 11:20:15

Here's another pic. There are still a couple of patches, but I think they will have dried out by tomorrow...

PurpleDaisies Sun 09-Apr-17 11:23:25

What paint have you got for your mist coat? I've always used dulux trade supermatt with a ratio of 1 part water to 3 parts paint as it says on the tin.

Banjopluckface Sun 09-Apr-17 12:11:01

I have half a tub of this paint left. It was really watery, horrible paint, but I was thinking it would be OK for a mist coat?
I was going to do half and half water, but is that not correct?

wowfudge Sun 09-Apr-17 12:19:50

We've just done stacks of mist coating with the Dulux paint mentioned above. Any thinned down non vinyl emulsion will do.

Banjopluckface Sun 09-Apr-17 13:10:50

Meant to say this is the leftover paint we have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now