Talk

Advanced search

What colour should I paint this wall?

(44 Posts)
Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:12:49

I've recently painted the whole living room but none of it looks quite right, so I need some help. The wall is more pale grey/blue than it looks in this pic and I need guidance!

NapQueen Sat 08-Apr-17 19:13:24

Charcoal?

OlennasWimple Sat 08-Apr-17 19:16:39

Which way does the room face, and what light does it get throughout the day?

PhilODox Sat 08-Apr-17 19:27:24

I like your sofa.
What is the brown panelly bit behind the lamp? Is that paintable, or is it glass?

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:33:21

It's glass. 70s style glass! Needs changing really but I can't be bothered with the faff! Plus it lets light into the stairway.

Joinourclub Sat 08-Apr-17 19:33:52

What's going on behind the lamp?
I think everything looks very pale so go dark/ bold.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:34:47

Not sure which way it faces but the room is very light and airy. The whole room just doesn't seem to quite work, despite my best efforts to decorate it.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:36:16

Behind the lamp!

Sunnyshores Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:13

Love the sofa.....You could put some coloured window film, or similar, over the brown glass. Sorry I know you werent asking for advice on that.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:41:31

I like darker colours and like the sound of charcoal. I've just painted the facing wall darker grey (crown soft shadow) but I think it's too big an expanse of a dark colour, plus it has purple/lilac undertones that I don't like.

NapQueen Sat 08-Apr-17 19:44:04

Our living room is charcoal behind the sofa with Goose Down (dulux) on the three remaining walls. Mustard yellow lampshades and cushion.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:44:06

I love my sofa too 😄. The glass is clear but looks brown/darker as behind it is a stairway with no natural light, so it's a dark background. I'm not keen on it but I don't hate it enough to be bothered with changing it.

CremeEggThief Sat 08-Apr-17 19:45:08

Something warmer, like apricot, or darker like an almost navy blue (indigo?) would both work, I think.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 19:51:24

Not sure on apricot - it was cream before and that jarred with the rest of the furniture. I never really wanted to have a blue room but it seems to have turned into a grey/blue decor! There's a blue chair in here too!

Joinourclub Sat 08-Apr-17 23:23:41

Both the sofa and the chair are lovely. Now I e seen more I think maybe the click needs relocating to the grey wall and you need some more colourful artwork above the sofa.

Joinourclub Sat 08-Apr-17 23:24:02

* clock

Shortdarkandfeisty Sat 08-Apr-17 23:25:25

I'd go for a really pale blue

Thecontentedcat Sat 08-Apr-17 23:40:20

Millennial pink - very up to date and will go beautifully with your gorgeous blue sofas. Then get a big Kentia palm (or similar) to put in front of the brown window.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 23:44:02

Short - it's already a very pale grey/blue.

CremeEggThief Sat 08-Apr-17 23:45:07

Is milennial pink the same as or similar to copper blush, Thecontentedcat? If so, I have my kitchen/diner in this colour.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 23:46:58

Cat - pink????!!!! Oh I definitely couldn't!!!!! I can't stand big leafy plants either! The glass is very 70s and needs a re-think but it's clear, not brown IRL - it just looks darker because the stairway behind it is dark.

CremeEggThief Sat 08-Apr-17 23:48:49

What about a pale burnt orange, Trucking, if pink/copper blush is too warm for you?

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 23:49:55

Join - there's that many different colours in there that I feel like scaling back on colours, rather than adding to them with colourful artwork. There's numerous shades of grey and blue, there's touches of greens and yellows and then there's different types of wood too. I hate coordinated and matchy matchy but it's starting to feel not very thought-through and very mis-matched.

Truckingalong Sat 08-Apr-17 23:51:20

I'm not brave enough for something more 'out there' like orange or pink!

CremeEggThief Sat 08-Apr-17 23:58:40

What about a white with some warm hints in it then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now