Talk

Advanced search

Decorating downstairs hall different to staircase, will this look rubbish ?

(9 Posts)
8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:55:48

In our house you come in the front door and it's a small hall with downstairs toilet one side and living room door other side. Stairs are at the end of the hall slightly to the side behind the toilet going up. From, the front door you can't see the stairs until you get to the living room door or turn that wee corner.

I'm thinking of papering the downstairs hall and toilet and leaving the stairs wall and upstairs landing as they are, painted.
Will this look silly ? I'm doing it myself so wouldn't be able to paper the stairs.
Anyone else done their hall/stairs like this ?

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:52:23

Our landing and hallway match. The stairwell is different. I have three different wallpapers on my hall, stair and landing but they all have dove grey in so they match

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:54:43

Sorry I didn't read the op properly but basically will it all blend so you think. I can get why you don't want to wallpaper the stairwell it's one hell off a job

8misskitty8 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:41:02

At the moment it is painted in 'chic shadow' grey dulux so was looking at silver/glitter paper which would match up with the paint. Have seen a few I really like.

The stairs wall painted fine after 2 coats but for some reason after 3 coats the hall downstairs still looks all patchy. And I used one coat paint ! So thinking paper would be better.

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:53:32

Yeah I think it would work. I tried to look at the h/s/l as three separate rooms if that makes sense. I think quite a few people would do it like this as it's probably the hardest room to decorate. Good luck with it !

8misskitty8 Thu 13-Apr-17 00:54:00

Thanks. Hopefully it looks o.k. Really couldn't face having to paper the stairs or afford someone in to do it.

FrancisCrawford Fri 14-Apr-17 07:24:19

I have a similar arrangement.

My downstairs hall is papered, as is the wall facing you as you look in the bathroom. I've also got the wall at the top of the stairs papered, so it ties it all in together. The other walls are all painted in a toning colour.

I think it looks fab!

8misskitty8 Fri 14-Apr-17 23:15:31

Thanks For that Francis. Wasn't sure if it would look o.k. Only doing the downstairs.
Will need to save up as I've found a paper that is gorgeous but it's £23 a roll ! But it would look amazing.

CharleyDavidson Fri 14-Apr-17 23:22:16

We have a very pretty bird paper on the walls in the hall and on the landing, but the coordinating teal paper on the stairway wall. (And newer carpet than is in the pic!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now