Talk

Advanced search

Sh*t. We are SO over budget on our renovation

(3 Posts)
sellotape12 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:13:32

Ladies, I’m back to sleepless nights. I’m at work but done nothing all day. The reason? Having just crunched our spreadsheet again we are £10k over budget.
I honestly don’t know what to do. Have you faced a similar thing?
We used almost every penny to buy this damn wreck in London and had a budget set aside for renovations. This included a third from his parents.
But although we’ve been frugal, unexpected things came up (roof repair, rot, dead radiators, electrical probs). It’s lots of little things that have added up to a whopping £10,000.

We’re 80% there, so need to pay our builder in June. We’ll then have a deficit which we need to pay a door manufacturer and windows company who have longer payment terms. I’m taking as much freelance as I can get, but honestly I’m so, so so worried, and kicking ourselves that we didn’t plan a big contingency.

Did you go through this when renovating? Please tell me it all works out in the end!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 04-Apr-17 08:19:35

It will work out in the end !

Keep calm and keep taking on paying jobs - all those little jobs will soon add up too !!

This is your biggest investment and you have nearly completed it !! Well done you !!!

Oh and buy a lotto ticket !!! You never know ! smile

itsacatastrophe Wed 05-Apr-17 10:52:12

It's all relative though isn't it?
10k over when your budget is 20k is shocking, 10k over when your budget is £250k is like a drop in the ocean (well ok maybe not that extreme)
As pp said though, this is your home. If you are going to invest in anything then it might as well be in your home x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now