Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide what colour blue to paint my sitting room!

(26 Posts)
TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:28:17

We live in a period (GEorgian) house and our sitting room, which is south-facing, is quite long and narrow. Average height ceilings. Five/six years ago we painted it Pitch Blue (pictured) by F&B and I have been loving the deep colour ever since. I love accessorising with warm metallic picture frames mirrors and ornaments, and putting bright fabrics against it. While I suppose we were a bit ahead of the trends five years ago (wasn't brave enough to go any darker) I've decided that it needs updating a little by going a darker blue.

My choices are:

Drawing room blue
Hague Blue
HIcks Blue (little greene)

I'm a bit concerened that Drawing Room is a little too royal blue and yet the others are too depressing. Also I read somewhere that jewel colours are coming in and therefore should we stay where we are rather than darker?? Or should we disregard navy and go for a graphite black or something?? Dh will NOT want to redecorate for at least another five years.

Any opinions on colour trends / what the dark blues are like to live with etc would be appreciated!

theothercatpurred Sat 01-Apr-17 07:29:17

Could you post pictures of the colours? Or links?

theothercatpurred Sat 01-Apr-17 07:30:29

Or maybe you have and I can't see on my phone?

I love choosing paint colours but a little hard without seen them wink

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:31:43

Sorry, here's pic. And please excuse spelling and grammar in my OP.

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:32:26

I'll get some of the others but it is hard to tell from swatches

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:35:47

Hicks blue

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:36:09

Hague

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:36:53

Drawing room (looks v light here - not what I want at all but our room is naturally smaller and darker)

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 07:48:24

Other choices are Little Greene's Dock Blue and Royal Navy... confused

thethoughtfox Sat 01-Apr-17 09:23:10

I'm obsessed with Hague Blue. I want it for my living room or bedroom. What colour of sofa/ soft furnishings are you thinking of to go with it?

DameDoom Sat 01-Apr-17 09:58:26

Hague Blue. Our bedroom is south facing - I have doors, fitted wardrobes ceilings, skirting and rads all in HB. If you're going to go dark go the whole hog. Mind you, I have just painted the kitchen in railings which is a lovely black blue so you could consider that.
My whole house is painted dark - I would never entertain a white ceiling.

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 15:30:52

Thanks guys. A cabinet in there is already painted in Railings and I love it but I think it's just possibly a tad too dark.
Fox I have a silver velvet sofa, dark grey coloured armchairs and lots of acid bright cushions.

bignamechangeroonie Sat 01-Apr-17 15:33:06

Little Greene 'Woad'. On my wall.

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 15:34:10

I really like Woad bignamechange but it's very similar to Pitch Blue

ahgoonyouwill Sat 01-Apr-17 15:34:22

Stiffkey blue on my wall

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 15:38:55

I love this one, it's a 'special' Little Greene colour that I will apparently have to get mixed. Think it's my favourite so far as it just seems to have a little more depth than Hague... to those who have Hague, how does this compare to it?

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 15:40:00

I considered Stiffkey but decided it was too grey and flat for the room it's going into. Thanks for sharing ahgoonyouwill 😊

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 15:40:56

I'm tempted to go for Hague walls and a Calamime chimney breast 🤔

theothercatpurred Sat 01-Apr-17 16:09:13

I love the little green special one and the woad.

Not so keen on stiffkey.

Is the Hague really as dark as that picture?

TealStar Sat 01-Apr-17 16:45:24

Yeah it's pretty dark othercat. That's my problem; not enough depth. I love colour and for me it needs 'texture' but IMO Hague is so flat. I do know however that it would look great as a backdrop to all my brass and copper plus it's a very safe bet given all the insta interior bloggers I follow as it's the colour of moment! trying not to be influenced by fashion

SwedishEdith Thu 06-Apr-17 14:33:38

Inchyra Blue is nice.

Sunnysidegold Mon 10-Apr-17 18:12:18

Hague blue is lovely.

madeleinecreek Mon 10-Apr-17 19:22:34

Why do you want to change it? It seems like you're really happy with it!

TealStar Mon 10-Apr-17 20:18:22

grin Madeleine that's what dh says.

It's too light and pretty for my liking and I fancy going darker and more edgy that's all.

BadTasteFlump Wed 12-Apr-17 09:46:08

I love Pitch Blue - although I am biased as I have it in our sitting room smile.

I also have a period house and I think the colour is perfect - don't worry about what's 'in', just whst suits your home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now