Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have Karndean or Amtico flooring?

(22 Posts)
refusetobeasheep Thu 30-Mar-17 16:08:29

Am considering it for my kitchen / bathroom / hallway as sounds great, but is it?!

TimTamTerrier Thu 30-Mar-17 16:12:16

I have Karndean in my kitchen and hallway. I like it a lot, it can be scratched but my family are very rough with it and we only have one minor scratch in the hall that you can barely see. I wouldn't use it in a bathroom though as water will damage the glue and then it won't lie flat anymore. Our old washing machine leaked, several times, and we had to replace the Karen tiles that were underneath it. It also works very well over under-floor heating.

TimTamTerrier Thu 30-Mar-17 16:12:57

Karndean, not Karen tiles.

Kaz2200 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:18:19

Yes and I absolutely love it had horrible expensive terrazzo tiles before which where horrible to clean, only had Karndean down for 3 months, so can't comment on long term wear

Roussette Thu 30-Mar-17 16:19:14

I have it in both bathrooms with absolutely no problem at all (Karndean that is)

However I would not instal it myself. I paid extra for a Karndean installer to put it in. We've had it down for about 5 years now and it still looks fab. Water gets spilt on it with no problem.

firawla Thu 30-Mar-17 16:19:18

I got amtico in the kitchen and have been happy with it

CaptainBraandPants Thu 30-Mar-17 16:19:22

We have Karndean in all the upstairs bathrooms. It's been there for 7 years now and still looks like new.
I disagree about the water damage - our toilet leaked a while ago and the tiles around it are still as good as new.
Wouldn't hesitate in getting it again.

missyB1 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:21:19

Yes I have it in the hallway and lounge, I also had it in our previous house. Its very easy to look after, just hoover and mop, although you cannot use a steam mop as that will loosen the adhesive.

refusetobeasheep Thu 30-Mar-17 16:38:13

thanks all! is it relatively warm compared to tiles?

Kaz2200 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:40:22

Much warmer, although we have underfloor heating, but even without it, it is warm and quiet to walk on.

bigTillyMint Thu 30-Mar-17 16:43:09

We have Karndean in our kitchen. I love it. It is really warm compared to the slate tiles we had before - no underfloor heating.

We have the wood-effect one and it feels so nice in bare feet!

I agree, no scratches or oil or water-damage despite it being in a kitchen.

Roussette Thu 30-Mar-17 16:47:22

Yes, it is warmer than tiles. It's posh lino really!

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Mar-17 16:57:34

I have it all through downstairs, and have done for 7 years. The only big marks are where the dogs dropped big bones down the stairs and it took a chip out.
No issues with water, washes beautifully, warm underfoot, and no where near as noisy as the engineered wood we had in a previous house

JJBlinks Fri 31-Mar-17 09:08:52

We have amtico in kitchen, hall and bathroom. Love it. We had real engineered wood before but find that amtico is much warmer, quieter, easy to clean. I really like it.

highwoodwitch Sat 01-Apr-17 00:53:38

Have Karndean in hall and Amtico in bathroom - both excellent. Must be laid properly though. Both have been down many years and look new. Would not allow sharp heels on either though.

HesterGreysGarden Mon 03-Apr-17 21:35:09

Love my amtico. Easy to clean, warm under foot, looks smart. Wish I'd got the whole ground floor done in it - and the bathroom too. (If I could afford to, I still would)

meladeso Mon 10-Apr-17 13:42:29

another one with Karndean. we have a pale sort of whitewashed wood effect.
love it.
it is scratching due to kids, but it's so warm underfoot (no underfloor heating) and so forgiving when you drop something.
def recommend!
Karndean cheaper than amtico too.

DakotaFanny Mon 10-Apr-17 13:49:54

We've got it. Yes, it is warmer than tiles but ours discoloured in the sun (to be fair, they paid us some compensation) so we now have a green strip in front of the patio doors. There are also some dodgy joints where the floor is not 100% flat, so I would be careful if you're not a new build.

Having said that....it cleans up lovely and does look good if you don't notice the imperfections.

DakotaFanny Mon 10-Apr-17 13:50:43

(karndean by the way)

BeyondThePage Mon 10-Apr-17 14:08:29

We found Karndean scratches (the core is not the same colour as the surface) so chose a medium wood colour - scratches don't show.

JulesJules Mon 10-Apr-17 21:42:18

Amtico in bathroom, kitchen and hall.
Love it, still looks as good as new, warm underfoot, easy to keep clean. You can't use steam cleaners on it. Got ours from John Lewis, needs to be fitted by Amtico approved fitter.

JulesJules Mon 10-Apr-17 21:48:20

The fitters spent ages levelling the floor first and laying a flat under surface, it's this and the fitting that makes it expensive, but worth getting it done properly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now