Talk

Advanced search

Blackout blinds is it a must?

(10 Posts)
babynelly2010 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:47:40

We lived in our house for almost 2 years with no blinds at all, new built. With 3rd baby on the way I decided to get some window dressing in the house.
We live outside the city with very little light pollution at night and fine sleeping as is.
I am definitely getting black out blind for baby's room but for the rest of the house I am thinking to get just plain non black out blinds for sort of sheer look. Black outs are just slightly more in terms of cost and I am worried that I am making a mistake by not getting blackout blinds in the sleeping areas.
Any thoughts on this?

Matilda1981 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:50:02

If you've lived there for two years with no blinds at all then you probably won't need blackout blinds! If I didn't have kids I would love blackout blinds for my weekends when I want a lie in as the sun does wake me up but as I have young children I'm awake fairly early anyway!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Tue 28-Mar-17 17:52:33

You might want to think about something temporary for your room for as long as the baby is sleeping with you.

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 17:54:14

How have your children slept without blackout blinds? That's impressive!

I think if the blinds aren't blackout and you're not overlooked then there isn't much point in having the blinds. Most of them aren't very attractive.

babynelly2010 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:12:49

My 6 year old is an early riser and almost 3 years old is a deep sleeper. He would sleep anywhere with light or no light. For our room I thought to get just standard blind for when the baby is here and for her room get a blackout. For the rest of the house just standard blind including ours in children's. I just prefer the look of some light coming in but worried I will regret it as to go blackout in roller blinds is not that much more.

MissGoggins Tue 28-Mar-17 18:18:13

I'd go blackout every time! But I like my bedroom to be so dark I can't see my hand an inch from my face!

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 18:30:18

Why do you want blinds? It sounds like you're fine without.

babynelly2010 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:56:53

Privacy, we do have people on the back looking into and for baby's room. Also just to finish the look I suppose. Roller blinds are the cheapest solution I found. I don't really like curtains.

Presstheresetbutton Tue 28-Mar-17 20:59:21

4DC. I don't even have curtains on most windows hmm

Why do people need blackout blinds?!

DorcasthePuffin Wed 29-Mar-17 12:55:58

Well, I like sleeping with the blinds up and the window open, so I would definitely say don't bother with blackout blinds unless you actually need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now