Talk

Advanced search

Ikea mosseby frames - have i made a mistake?

(16 Posts)
Eesha Sun 26-Mar-17 22:37:14

Hi all,

I'm trying to frame a selection of baby photos on my main living room wall (magnolia). We just went to Ikea and I bought a selection of mosseby frames in oak colour and I'm just not wowed by it. My partner says oak is the safe option he likes but it feels so boring. Can't find any examples of nice collages in oak either. Anyone have any advice to present my pics in a better way?

Fingermoose Sun 26-Mar-17 22:47:42

Could you paint a few of the frames in a contrasting colour or put a colourful mount in a couple? Or put something non-square or non-photographic in the arrangement, like the patterned paper and the letter in this? They've kept the shape quite neat but added colour.

Eesha Mon 27-Mar-17 08:03:08

Thanks Fingermoose, I'm not confident to paint the wood so was debating returning them and buying either white or going elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be any collages on the net in that oak colour which makes me think it's not the done thing

nannyj Mon 27-Mar-17 08:05:48

I always think white looks nice when you have lots of frames together. I have a few white frames together although my walls are sage green.

pinkblink Mon 27-Mar-17 08:11:02

I'm not sure White would look right on magnolia, Moose has some good advice

Fingermoose Mon 27-Mar-17 08:25:04

Hmm, it might be nicer if you had a mixture of styles and/or colours. How about getting picture shelves then you can swap things round?

Eesha Mon 27-Mar-17 10:54:15

Here is my wall. I like the mount idea, where is a good place to get these?

LuxeLush Mon 27-Mar-17 22:19:26

Here's an example with coloured mounts for the photos as Fingermoose suggested, a clock and some other wall art. Hobbycraft sells coloured mounts and I'm sure loads of places will set them on the internet.

LuxeLush Mon 27-Mar-17 22:20:31

Love your clock by the way Eesha smile

Fingermoose Mon 27-Mar-17 22:21:20

It looks like there are lots of colourful mounts available on eBay, or eframe.co.uk looks good if more expensive. I like your clock! Have a look at 'photo collage arrangement ideas' on Google images to look at layouts.

ChishandFips33 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:11:24

I think the arrangement will trump the colour

How many did you buy/are they the same size/orientation?

Can you lay them out on the floor (without the photos in) and take a photo of different arrangements so we can help

DorcasthePuffin Tue 28-Mar-17 20:51:19

I like the clock too!

Imamouseduh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:55:49

I think the 'oak' doesn't look good because it's veneer and looks awfully cheap. I'd always go with white frames and rely on the artwork to inject the colour.

Eesha Tue 28-Mar-17 22:43:13

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/mossebo-frame-white-stained-oak-effect-art-60303301/ this is what I bought.

Eesha Wed 29-Mar-17 10:52:01

Here was some of the layouts I tried

ChishandFips33 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:30:50

I think you might need more to get the effect you're looking for

Another large might be enough

3 small in a vertical row then the 2 larger ones next to them?

Or include your lovely clock in the design - take it off the wall to try

If they are going above your couch you may not notice the lack of 'realness' in the wood frame - but you may need more to fill the space better

Or try the IKEA picture shelf then you can add to/remove easily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now