Talk

Advanced search

Polypropylene carpet

(7 Posts)
QuattroFormaggio Mon 20-Mar-17 12:33:13

We need new carpet throughout living room, stairs and bedrooms and went to a local independent carpet shop at the weekend. The guy there said polypropylene carpets have been revolutionised in the last 5 years. Apparently they are now brilliant for families; can be bleach cleaned, no static, feel really soft, don't get eaten by moths, reasonable price, nearly everyone goes for them these days etc. Does anyone have any experience? Any negatives? Thanks!

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:47:30

It's like getting a polyester dress instead of a silk one - very practical and cheap but not nearly as fancy.

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 20-Mar-17 16:53:39

We have one on the stairs, landing and spare room and I would get it for the rest of the house as - like the slightly unflattering description above - it's the "easy care"version i.e. Doesn't need special faffy looking after.
Little marks come out well with a bit of fairy, it does need regular hoovering but looks good. Get a good underlay. But that's important for any carpet really.
However we also went for laminate floor as we couldn't afford the engineered wood flooring. I can tell the difference with that - it is ok just not amazing.

QuattroFormaggio Mon 20-Mar-17 16:58:29

Haha yeah with 3 young kids I don't wear many silk dresses these days either...! Thanks for your replies

Lesley1980 Mon 20-Mar-17 22:13:38

my brother has one & it's great. He has three kids under 7 & it still looks good. They spot clean & hire the rug dr every couple of years & it looks brand new again. I wish I had bought a synthetic one instead of a wool mix.

Emily7708 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:22:49

We replaced an entire house of wool carpets with polypropylene three years ago after getting sick to the back teeth of worrying about stains and constantly having to drag the carpet cleaner out. They are indestructible - my DD has accidentally dropped nail polish on hers and it vanished, drink spills disappear. They are very soft underfoot too and no static - I would definitely recommend them. Ours were from Carpetright and I think they were called Viceroy. We are moving soon and they still look so good the buyers thought they were brand new.

QuattroFormaggio Tue 21-Mar-17 14:35:55

Great news, thanks everyone. I think with 3 under 8, it's going to be the sensible way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now