Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with this ridiculous fireplace/plug problem?

(10 Posts)
FireplaceWoes Sat 04-Mar-17 12:08:43

I've NC for this as you can see the reflection of my lounge in the fireplace and it would be outing!

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice on this. We had a spur plug on the wall of our lounge that was designed for an electric fireplace. We have clearly made a mistake buying one that doesn't go all the way down to the floor and now the plug is exposed and looks ridiculous. The switch for it is off to the side so the plug itself can be safely covered up.

Is there any way this can be made to look good without buying a new fireplace? We thought about calling a handyman to get their ideas too.

Ignore the black scribbles on the photo, that's just me covering the reflection of me and the DCs.

TIA!

SloanyAnne Sat 04-Mar-17 12:11:37

Can you load a pic to include the floor?

SloanyAnne Sat 04-Mar-17 12:13:24

How hot does the bottom of the fire get and is there any kind of vent on the bottom of it?

Nowthereistwo Sat 04-Mar-17 12:35:38

We got an electrician to fit the spur behind our fire so you can't see it. Can you're be moved up?

FireplaceWoes Sat 04-Mar-17 13:08:26

SloanyAnne new pic attached. It doesn't get hot at all at the bottom, all the heat comes out the top. There isn't a vent at the bottom.

Nowthereistwo yes perhaps we could look at getting that done, thanks for the tip.

Charleyyy Sat 04-Mar-17 13:10:50

As a less drastic option, what about a little radiator type cover underneath? You know like the ones with a lattice? You could cut it to soze and it might like like a mini mantle

HolaWeenie Sat 04-Mar-17 15:28:43

Can you change wire and plug to white? If you can't change the wire can you paint it or wrap white electrical tape around it?

Bamaluz Sat 04-Mar-17 15:36:59

Couldn't the fire be lowered to cover the socket?

yomellamoHelly Sat 04-Mar-17 18:08:43

That's wired really strangely. With ours the cable feeds to a fused switch to the side and the cable is attached to the fire behind the body of the case so there's nothing visible around the edges. Did an electrician fit it?

FireplaceWoes Sun 05-Mar-17 21:55:39

yomellamoHelly it's a new build and they fitted the source, we've then installed the fireplace ourselves.

Thanks for the tips all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now