Talk

Advanced search

Not another post about dark blue paint...

(25 Posts)
jollyroger2 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:49:34

Anyone out there as obsessed with various shades of dark blue paint as me? I'd like to be swayed please one way or another...

I want dark blue walls in our north facing sitting room. Am certain about this! Am considering:

Hague Blue (too greenish-dark?)
Hicks Blue (Little Greene) - maybe too 'pale', too 'blue" (this is DH's choice)
Tempest (Fired Earth) - looks grey in pot but on friends' walls looks amazing (and dark blue)
Juniper Ash - too pale?
Breton Blue Dulux - too 'deep', too 'navy'?

Thanks for opinions in advance if I get any!

OP’s posts: |
thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:27:26

We used b&q colours premium (deep marine or something like that) - it's dark and is a tiny bit on the green spectrum (I'd imagine, I know nothing about these things), in my dd's bedroom. It looks absolutely gorgeous. White furniture and some coppery coloured accessories. I would love it in the lounge but think it's probably too dark and I'm not really a 'statement' decorator!

trickyex Mon 20-Feb-17 14:40:42

I used Hicks Blue in a room which has windows to the North and West and I love it, great colour IMO.

justaweeone Mon 20-Feb-17 15:04:56

This by Albany paints(available cheaper from Brewers)
http://www.designerpaint.com/products/albany-traditions/highbrook/7309

justaweeone Mon 20-Feb-17 15:06:27

Also f and b stiffkey blue is nice

justaweeone Mon 20-Feb-17 15:14:25

Any good
http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=Dulux%20Trade&cRef=70BG%2007/086&cDescription=Azure%20fusion%201

justaweeone Mon 20-Feb-17 15:15:30

Link fail
It's this
70BG 07/086Range: Dulux TradeAzure fusion 1

oneplus2is3 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:43:12

We've just used the Breton Blue (Dulux Timeless Classics) and I LOVE it. It is quite deep but that's what we were looking for and have "accessorised" with white and graphite grey. It has a very matt finish and goes on like a dream.

Phalarope Mon 20-Feb-17 21:46:53

We have Hague Blue in north-facing sitting room. Love it, not at all green, but it is very dark.

notMarlene Mon 20-Feb-17 21:52:10

Hague Blue. Absolutely. It's stunning.

TattiePants Mon 20-Feb-17 21:54:31

Another recommendation for F&B's Stiffkey blue. Used it in DS's bedroom and it looks great.

ByAllMeansMoveAtAGlacialPace Mon 20-Feb-17 22:00:19

We have F & B stiffkey blue in the living room and its beautiful.

monniemae Mon 20-Feb-17 22:03:28

We recently had our north facing bedroom painted hicks blue and love it. I had the same concerns as you, but absolutely love it and it's brilliantly dark while seeming v rich and textured. Initially I wanted Hague blue but the decorator was v persuasive that little greene would be better (and that it would save us 100quid on needing an extra coat...)

FurbysMakeSexNoises Tue 21-Feb-17 18:56:08

Would you consider a greeny blue? Little Greene have some gorgeous warm colours. Moon Shadow vibrant and welcoming. About to do DS' room in it.

jollyroger2 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:53:06

Thanks so much for suggestions (have been away for a couple of days so sorry not on thread).

Yes, monniemae, that's exactly my thinking re hicks blue v hague. That it is rich and dark, and definitely seemed to go out n my cardboard tester sheet more easily than f and b Hague.

Still hankering for the really dark Hague, though so will see what DH says...

Will also look at those other suggestions. Thank you, justaweeone.

jollyroger2 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:54:56

And thanks everyone else too!

Flashinthepan Wed 22-Feb-17 16:25:08

We've got Crown Midnight Navy on the alcoves in our bedroom, and Laura Ashley Sapphire (which is pale but a great combo with the deep blue) on the chimney breast.

We have Little Greene Royal Navy on our front door, which is a gorgeous dark blue.

yellowfrontdoor Wed 22-Feb-17 16:35:05

I have f&b stiffkey blue on my kitchen cupboards; with amonite on the walls. Lovely colour!

minipie Thu 23-Feb-17 17:04:17

If you end up preferring F&B colour, but LIttle Greene quality, it's worth knowing that LIttle Greene will do excellent colour matches of F&B colours (and I imagine others too). Costs the same as F&B so you won't save money but you get their quality of paint and keep your decorator happy.

jollyroger2 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:05:26

Thanks, great tip re paint mixing.

Justaweeone, I like the dulux trade alternative to Hague blue. Very interesting!

hopgarden1 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:34:05

We have just finished our bathroom - in Juniper Ash as bottom half is tongue and groove panneling (in LG Welcome) it looks great. Used Johnstones trade equivalent of LG. It's dark and quite in your face; but maybe that's me as it's just a bathroom! I love it and trying to now find lights to suit it.
Just go for what you love - what's the worst that can happen?!? You'll paint over it-no big deal!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 01-Mar-17 21:38:47

We have F&B Drawing Room Blue in our bedroom and it's lovely, darker than you'd think. I found Hague too dark and muddy for this room as it doesn't get a lot of natural light.

Autumnchill Wed 01-Mar-17 21:40:21

We have F&B Drawing Room in our front bedroom. Its the most perfect blue

DorcasthePuffin Wed 01-Mar-17 21:49:46

It's the new grey, isn't it? grin

I'm about to paint my dd's attic bedroom dark blue (including ceiling! - high risk but hey). Sadly she rejected all my lovely F&B offerings in favour of something a bit more navy. But still... I'm going to get cracking this weekend, can't wait.

Stokey Sat 04-Mar-17 12:26:41

Recently went to a friend's house who'd used a F&B colour consultant. She had wanted all HB in her living room but consultant advised against it & she now has one wall in HB & 3 in one of the greys. Their hall is a lighter grey & then they have a teal bedroom. I woudn't have considered going with a consultant before, but have to say it looks amazing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in