Talk

Advanced search

Radiator covers love them or hate them?

(21 Posts)
purplefishy Sat 18-Feb-17 11:40:35

I live in a new build, as we built off plan we were able to make changes. I asked for a few radiators to be moved as they were in strange places and in corners of rooms and not central.

However who ever put them in went off plan and I have 3 downstairs that bug the hell outta me as they are off center. There the double thick ones and stick out quite far and we have too many I really don't need 3 in the kitchen.

If I get larger covers than the radiators at least they can be centralized. But two of my friends said how naff they were. I've never had them but I think they could look great with a couple of ornemants on.

So do you love them or hate them?

I love my house but it's a bit of a magnolia box and we haven't put any artwork up and I just feel it's lacking some soul and character so was thinking to get the covers and put a mirror / picture wall hung up above to make a kind of feature?

GummyGoddess Sat 18-Feb-17 14:23:50

I really like them, but am prepared to be told they are hideous.

Palomb Sat 18-Feb-17 14:26:41

Look better than the radiators imo.

CoconutAmericano Sat 18-Feb-17 14:27:45

I prefer them to an ugly radiator but it does depend on the style of the rad.

Bluntness100 Sat 18-Feb-17 14:30:04

You can have radiators removed or moved, removing them is a ten min job, we had one taken out.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 18-Feb-17 14:32:58

They look weird.

And they makeup too much space.

And block the heat. My mate loves them and her house is fucking freezing.

And they're a bit needy. "Look at me! I'm a radiator cover!" Whereas radiators are pretty low maintenance.

southall Sat 18-Feb-17 14:33:08

Just googling images. There seems to be lots of different designs to choose from.

Its your house and if you like them who cares what other people think.

hey are not a permanent change to the house so wont affect resale value.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 18-Feb-17 14:34:47

My parents have had them made by a local man, I think they are pine with a really simple design, plain slat things - I want to say Mission table ish but I am not sure if that is the right term. They have been sprayed in a soft grey colour.

I would have said I disliked them until I saw these.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 18-Feb-17 14:37:16

Yes, Mission style is the right term, google mission style radiator covers, there are loads of images.

Davros Sat 18-Feb-17 21:46:01

And they provide a good surface for clutter ornaments

DorcasthePuffin Sun 19-Feb-17 14:23:44

I'm not mad keen, but it sounds like they provide a solution to at least a couple of problems for you. So the only real question is: do YOU like them?

GraceGrape Sun 19-Feb-17 14:26:01

I think they make the radiators inefficient so this would be a consideration unless it's a very warm house.

southall Sun 19-Feb-17 17:28:58

"I think they make the radiators inefficient so this would be a consideration unless it's a very warm house."

They will be slightly less efficient but note hugely so.
The issue would be if the rads had TRVs, they probably should be outside the covers and not inside. You might consider removing any TRVs.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 19-Feb-17 17:30:11

Love radiator covers ... But not ornaments
Just leave them bare
grin

purplefishy Mon 20-Feb-17 09:40:09

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Re the heat element in not overly worried by this as the few I'm looking to cover are off anyway. We honestly have so many radiators it's ridiculous.

I haven't got a proper fire so in my dining room I am wanting one as a feature to hang a mirror over and turn it into a feature wall.

Due to the height they have been hung and wall length I'm quite limited by what designs but have found the following I'm tempted to purchase.

The smallest one 1st picture is the only one suitable for my hallway the paneling is identical to the front door that it's next too so don't think it will look too off. It will just be handy to have a bowl on to chuck our keys in.

The other 2 possibly 3 I will get in the other design picture 2.

I think I will buy the 2 and see how bulky they are. I think it may look out of place in the kitchen but I will try one in the space before buying.

Purplebluebird Mon 20-Feb-17 09:51:06

They look nicer than a radiator + you can put things on top.

RedBugMug Mon 20-Feb-17 09:53:23

hate them
pointless things

Purplebluebird Mon 20-Feb-17 09:53:45

Also I like the second one on picture best.

Davros Mon 20-Feb-17 15:57:59

I like them. We had ours made when the house was being decorated so got our own designs in the front panel. At the time, you could only get those Ines with the grid in the front panel. The Ines in your photos are much nicer. Will you have them sprayed with colour?

wowfudge Mon 20-Feb-17 16:40:16

God I hate them. We have loads of the bloody things in our newish house - each one painted to match the already hideous décor. And two DIY jobs with wooden trellis tacked to the frames.

purplefishy Mon 20-Feb-17 16:48:31

To be honest I will probably leave them white for now as all our woodwork is white Matt instead of gloss even the doors so they will tie in well.

But we are completely magnolia, if we change the wall colour we could paint them as that would look cool.
But long term plan is keep the magnolia and bring in colour from accessories and maybe a feature wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now