Talk

Advanced search

Dark grey carpet and chocolate brown leather sofas

(15 Posts)
TartanBiscuit Wed 15-Feb-17 15:03:57

I have just bought a new build and need to choose my options, including carpets, very soon. I want a more modern look than I currently have, so was thinking of dark grey carpets (I have two small children so can't have anything light) but I have chocolate brown leather sofas that I cannot afford to change just yet.

Is it going to look horrendous if I choose dark grey carpets and then just put the chocolate leather sofas in and save up for new sofas? I would love purple sofas as my curtains are predominantly purple.

Or, put a more biscuity colour carpet down in the living room and change the carpet when I can afford new sofas? I have no idea when that will be!

Ripperofknitting Wed 15-Feb-17 21:01:10

I'm in a similar position - moving into a new build in a few months. I have my heart on a charcoal sofa, DH wants a vintagey brown leather.

For carpets we're going for Cormar Promo Excellence Elite in Evening Grove. It's grey but definitely has taupe-y tones to it. It's probably lighter than you were after but it can be cleaned with bleach or even just a baby wipe so I'm hoping it'll be quite forgiving!!

Millipedewithherfeetup Wed 15-Feb-17 23:33:05

What about having a rug that ties in both colours, grey brown and an accent ? Pink possibly, then choose cushions etc to match, i think this would be a good way to co-ordinate.

chocolatecheesecake Thu 16-Feb-17 06:47:32

Dark grey carpets will shrink the rooms and absorb light. Could you have hard floors and a rug? Really practical and much cheaper to change a rug when you get new sofas. Or if not, get lighter carpets - we got synthetic ones for the kids bedrooms as it is easier to get stains out. Scotchguarding on wool carpets only lasts a couple of years, and so far no stains on our carpets.

Atticmatic Thu 16-Feb-17 06:51:22

My mum has brown sofas and had a dark grey carpet put in. She lived with it for 11 months before getting rid. It made the room dark and just looked horrible. Sorry.

Expensive mistake.

TopKittyKat Thu 16-Feb-17 06:56:40

I would go with the carpet you want long term now. You can get some throws to cover your sofa now to hide the brown and then buy a new sofa when you can afford to.

AndShesGone Thu 16-Feb-17 07:19:37

Do NOT get dark carpet, shows every piece of fluff. There was a dark blue carpet in a house I lived in and it looked dirty all the time.

Always light/mid carpet.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 16-Feb-17 07:37:51

Grey carpet will be awful! Could you go for something with stripe or check as that could be forgiving ?

sofato5miles Thu 16-Feb-17 07:45:02

Just no. Two v dark colours and of different tones. It will clash as well as depress you.

picklemepopcorn Thu 16-Feb-17 07:49:05

New build carpet doesn't last very long, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Skooba Fri 17-Feb-17 08:20:45

The quality of carpet that came with my new build was poor. I wouldn't get a light colour as it prob won't las t

ThePurpleOneWithTheNut Fri 17-Feb-17 08:35:22

I have dark brown sofas but a light cream carpet.

CaptainHarville Fri 17-Feb-17 11:35:06

Dark coloured carpet looks clean for about a minute after hoovering. You're much better off getting a lighter colour but ideally something flecked rather than say a solid cream carpet which will show all the stains.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 17-Feb-17 13:31:04

Are you getting a free flooring pack or paying for the carpet. If it's the latter, have you looked into costs of doing the carpets yourself? I was frustrated with the options available and getting someone else into do the flooring was cost effective (and much better quality).

But I wouldn't go with dark grey carpets either.

mayah1 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:32:26

My dad has this combination of colours...would not recommend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now