Talk

Advanced search

Original wooden floorboards in rented accommodation - how to treat them?

(3 Posts)
Lucysdiamonds Mon 13-Feb-17 17:57:08

The rented accommodation I'm in has the original floorboards downstairs, but they are very tatty. I have a couple of rugs down, but the boards still look grubby and rough, with a few damaged patches.

I'm no good at DIY and the landlord isn't interested. Also have cats, so varnishing would be difficult as it's a through lounge and we need to go through to upstairs or front door or bathroom ...

Is there anything cheap and easy I could do apart from buy more rugs?

MollyHuaCha Mon 13-Feb-17 18:01:25

To regenerate floor boards, you can hire (or borrow/buy) a sander, sand them (a big job with more sawdust flying around than you can imagine) and then apply a few coats of varnish. It's a big job. I'm not sure I wd do this for rented accommodation unless I thought I was going to be living there a long time. Maybe landlord cd be persuaded to pay for sander and varnish if you were willing to spend the time on it?

Lucysdiamonds Mon 13-Feb-17 18:03:11

I hope to stay 2 years ...

I don't think I could do that though .. and the landlord won't, he's not interested in doing anything or paying for anything. Varnishing also not an option due to my cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now