Talk

Advanced search

Children's cabin bed

(22 Posts)
shandybass Sun 12-Feb-17 23:24:35

My dd is very keen on a high cabin bed with desk and wardrobe underneath. I've seen one in Ikea or Tescos. Any ideas how complicated they are to put tohether? It'll be me and some power tools.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 12-Feb-17 23:28:46

If you look at the ones on the ikea site you'll see a bit where you can download a PDF of the instructions

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 12-Feb-17 23:31:26

www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/stuva__aa-1005991-8_pub.pdf

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 12-Feb-17 23:34:35

www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/sv%c3%a4rta__aa-699878-10_pub.pdf

shandybass Sun 12-Feb-17 23:37:48

Yes ta. I've seen the PDF but was wondering does anyone know is it complicated and how long does it take?

Zoflorabore Sun 12-Feb-17 23:40:12

My dd is 6 in a few days and has a lovely high sleeper camper van bed, haven't a clue how to link, it has a desk and a seating area which is huge with 2 storage boxes under, it was down from £900 approx to £400 and will last years and years, it's from Littlewoods.

Zoflorabore Sun 12-Feb-17 23:40:42

Sorry missed the part about wardrobes blush

Zoflorabore Sun 12-Feb-17 23:41:50

Ps dd's took two men 6 hours, very complicated by the noises coming out of her room grin

Cakescakescakes Sun 12-Feb-17 23:44:25

We bought a Hastings mid sleeper from M&S. Came with loads of furniture that fits underneath and the building of it onsite was included in the price. Took the two guys about 90 mins. It cost about £550 in one of the 20% off weekends.

KnightsOfCydonia Sun 12-Feb-17 23:49:06

I've built the IKEA one, it was fairly simple and straightforward, I did most of the building on my own, but you definitely need 2 people for the final assembly to lift large heavy parts.

ijustwannadance Sun 12-Feb-17 23:50:15

It really is a 2 person job though. I bought DD a mid sleeper with pull out desk, drawers and bookcase. Luckily the extra bits weren't attached to the actual bedframe so easy to build myself but I couldn't have built bedframe without help as it was heavy. Took less than 3 hours.

shandybass Mon 13-Feb-17 06:28:46

Thank you for your replies.

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 13-Feb-17 08:01:32

I shouldn't imagine it would take more than an hour or two based on previous experience but with something that size you may well find you need two pairs of hands...

Caroian Mon 13-Feb-17 18:39:44

Ask me in a few days. We've just bought Stuva for our son and it was delivered on Saturday. He's off to stay with the grandparents on Wed, so we'll assemble it then!

But agree with above, it's definitely a two person job. There is no way you can make something so tall on your own - some of the bits are very heavy.

shandybass Wed 15-Feb-17 23:34:01

Good luck Caroian.
I'm debating between the
Stuva - Ikea £299ish
Ohio - Lurtlewoods £399 with mattress
Also maybe
Tescos
Which one is best quality? Or do you think they are good quality? I don't want a rickety leaning thing and I don't live close enough to see any in rl in the time frame I've got.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 15-Feb-17 23:42:38

Oh, ok. Sorry for trying to be helpful.

Obviously its a two person job. Just changing the sheets on one of these things is a hell of a job.

shandybass Thu 16-Feb-17 17:17:50

She you were helpful. Sorry I will study the instructions when I've decided but those things make me go blank like Maths.
Yes changing sheets I hadn't thought of thatshock

MiaowTheCat Fri 17-Feb-17 09:40:07

One thing I'd say on the Ikea one having seen it in the store - it's really really really high! Check your ceiling height - my brother when he was a kid coveted one for years - finally worked my mum around and then realised he had bog all head room up there!

We've just replaced bunks with some all singing dancing ones - the £80 fee for the delivery blokes to build it for us was definitely worth paying!

shandybass Fri 17-Feb-17 19:48:49

Ah ta Miaow. Yes I'll check ceiling they're not that high.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 18-Feb-17 00:31:45

Sorry for being arsey.

Yes... Changing the sheets on these bastards is the reason we don't have them because it would collapse under my weight

shandybass Tue 21-Feb-17 00:28:30

Ooh I've just seen a nice Ohio high sleeper in Argos for £249 but there's a delay on delivery and no assembly service. Still has a bit more storage than the Very/ LW one although ladder looks tricky.

downwardfacingdog Tue 28-Feb-17 09:56:28

I put DS's Suva together on my own, but it is hard. I am tall and strong and have done a lot of flat pack in my time though! Agree with Pp to chalk the ceiling height - it's tall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now