Advanced search

What colour sofas?

(9 Posts)
Colourmylife1 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:25:04

Please help! I have no idea how to put colours together. Following a long painful divorce the house is finally mine and I want to make it my own. The room is large, south-facing with high ceilings and elaborate cornicing. It's currently decorated in Autumn colours with dark green sofas but I'd like it to be light and bright and a bit more modern. I can start from scratch other than the carpet which annoyingly is a warm harvest colour when I'd really like something cool and Scandi. Does anyone have any suggestions - short of tearing a good carpet up? Thanks in advance!

Colourmylife1 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:34:24

Anyone? I know you all have better idea about colour than me!

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 08-Feb-17 21:40:24

How about cream washable covers? You can make it cosy in winter and airy in summer. I'm thinking ikea - then you get more covers too.

Colourmylife1 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:46:10

Thanks for your response Penelope. I like the idea of cream. I no longer have children at home or any pets so it might even be a realistic option. Am I right in thinking that as the carpet is a warm colour I need to pick a warm colour? I told you I have no eye for these things!

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 09-Feb-17 02:44:58

Oh, I don't know I'm afraid, but someone else will tell us soon!

Sarahsea1 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:10:38

I would reconsider keeping the carpet - it's a fairly strong colour to be tied to - you don't need an ultra hardwearing (high cost) one if it's just you. If you get a pale loop or weave then you can build up your furniture from there and if you stick with a cream/white palette you can't go wrong. You can then add in accent colours if it looks too stark. Despite their popularity I've found greys tricky due to lilac/blue undertones, hence my love of white!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:59:50
My Photo maybe made the carpet look a little more orange than it actually is.
Sarah I have thought of that but is would be a last resort as I am on a budget and don't expect to be in the house much more than 5 years as it is too big for me. I agree it would open up my options enormously so I might try to get an estimated cost. It's a big floor area though!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:00:33

I should have said - I think this is the carpet i have although it's almost 20 years old now!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:08:24

And this is the correct colour. It's Harvest. Sorry you can tell I'm new to linking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now