Talk

Advanced search

What colour sofas?

(9 Posts)
Colourmylife1 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:25:04

Please help! I have no idea how to put colours together. Following a long painful divorce the house is finally mine and I want to make it my own. The room is large, south-facing with high ceilings and elaborate cornicing. It's currently decorated in Autumn colours with dark green sofas but I'd like it to be light and bright and a bit more modern. I can start from scratch other than the carpet which annoyingly is a warm harvest colour when I'd really like something cool and Scandi. Does anyone have any suggestions - short of tearing a good carpet up? Thanks in advance!

Colourmylife1 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:34:24

Anyone? I know you all have better idea about colour than me!

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 08-Feb-17 21:40:24

How about cream washable covers? You can make it cosy in winter and airy in summer. I'm thinking ikea - then you get more covers too.

Colourmylife1 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:46:10

Thanks for your response Penelope. I like the idea of cream. I no longer have children at home or any pets so it might even be a realistic option. Am I right in thinking that as the carpet is a warm colour I need to pick a warm colour? I told you I have no eye for these things!

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 09-Feb-17 02:44:58

Oh, I don't know I'm afraid, but someone else will tell us soon!

Sarahsea1 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:10:38

I would reconsider keeping the carpet - it's a fairly strong colour to be tied to - you don't need an ultra hardwearing (high cost) one if it's just you. If you get a pale loop or weave then you can build up your furniture from there and if you stick with a cream/white palette you can't go wrong. You can then add in accent colours if it looks too stark. Despite their popularity I've found greys tricky due to lilac/blue undertones, hence my love of white!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:59:50

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-wool-rich-flecked-45oz-twist-carpet/p1209362#media-overlay_show
My Photo maybe made the carpet look a little more orange than it actually is.
Sarah I have thought of that but is would be a last resort as I am on a budget and don't expect to be in the house much more than 5 years as it is too big for me. I agree it would open up my options enormously so I might try to get an estimated cost. It's a big floor area though!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:00:33

I should have said - I think this is the carpet i have although it's almost 20 years old now!

Colourmylife1 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:08:24

And this is the correct colour. It's Harvest. Sorry you can tell I'm new to linking!
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-wool-rich-flecked-45oz-twist-carpet/p1209362?tmad=c&tmcampid=48#media-overlay_show?s_afcid=af_78888&awc=1203_1486648840_609389ca49a9945a3d0728884fd444be

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now