Talk

Advanced search

Shelving design - advice please!

(18 Posts)
NotJanine Tue 07-Feb-17 13:07:29

This is such a small issue, but would appreciate some opinions...

I'm having some floating shelves built into an alcove/side of chimney breast. Like in the photo.

However, the chimney breast is quite deep (I think about 45cm) and I don't know whether to have the shelves the whole depth or not. I will be putting quite a few books on them and wonder if they'll look a bit lost.

I did wonder about having the bottom shelf the full depth and then the others a bit further back. What do you think?

Don't suggest a cupboard at the bottom as i can't afford it wink

TattiePants Tue 07-Feb-17 15:19:07

I've recently had similar floating shelves built but with a cupboard below and have a deep chimney breast. My shelves are almost the same depth as the chimney (about an inch shorter) so I have books at the back and then smaller objects in front of the books.I think it would also work having one deeper shelf at the bottom and shallower ones above. If you plan on having a lamp on the shelves make sure your fitter cuts a small hole at the back of the shelves to drop the cable through.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 07-Feb-17 17:41:05

I have a bookcase (not alcove) which is 50cm deep - ignore the cereal bowl ds2 has just left there!
The bookcase itself is 1m high x 1m wide.
I dint think it looks odd, and gives you more options.

NotJanine Tue 07-Feb-17 18:20:23

Thanks both. It's really useful to see shelves 'in action'!

OdeToAutumn Wed 08-Feb-17 18:21:53

I'm just about to do the exact same thing but my recess is about 35cm deep and I was thinking it's a little shallow !

Trying to decide between white or wooden ones like walnut or oak.

Out of interest what's the height of the alcove and how many shelves are you having ? Trying to work out what spacing to have between mine

NotJanine Wed 08-Feb-17 21:29:41

My ceiling isn't particularly high, not sure of exact measurement. I'm having 4 shelves similar to the photo I posted.

The bottom shelf being level with the TV unit I have on the other side. The others spaced out from there. I quite like the look, not too busy, but also driven by cost.

NotJanine Wed 08-Feb-17 21:30:38

There are lots to look at on pinterest

OdeToAutumn Thu 09-Feb-17 00:37:21

Thanks - will take a look

NotJanine Fri 10-Feb-17 12:31:28

I got mine done yesterday. Was going to go for having the shelves a little bit further back but at the last minute I panicked and told him to do them the full depth grin

Got them spaced out like the photo I posted and I think they look quite good. I think the bottom one is 60cm from the floor and top one 60cm from the ceiling and then the other two are equally spaced between.

I think if you need them to house a lot of stuff then obviously get them closer together. My alcove is fairly wide (about 1.1m) and lots of shelves may have looked too busy

Will paint this weekend and then fanny about arranging books and stuff on them.

Kiroro Fri 10-Feb-17 16:53:57

I think full depth was the right call :-)

Chasingsquirrels Fri 10-Feb-17 20:36:07

@NotJanine sounds good - got a picture? smile

OdeToAutumn Sat 11-Feb-17 11:23:25

Sounds lovely ! Yes so post a pic if you can !

OdeToAutumn Sat 11-Feb-17 11:23:41

*do

NotJanine Sat 11-Feb-17 11:48:51

Not a great photo but hopefully gives you the idea. Just been filling a few bits then will be painting

OdeToAutumn Sun 12-Feb-17 05:27:57

Thanks for sharing - looks great !

AndShesGone Sun 12-Feb-17 06:20:09

They look fab!

dudsville Sun 12-Feb-17 07:00:23

Yeah they look perfect!

Chasingsquirrels Sun 12-Feb-17 08:52:09

Looks good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now