Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about stair runners!

(42 Posts)
HeyToTheHo Sat 04-Feb-17 07:38:16

Redoing the hall, stairs and landing and want to carpet wall to wall on landing, put wooden floor in hall, and then sand and paint the stairs and put a stair runner carpet on the stairs.

How does this work? Can carpet people make a runner from any carpet or are there special carpets?

I have no clue so hoping MNers will have wise words/ things to think about!

everdene Sat 04-Feb-17 09:13:23

I looked into them (and I think asked on here!) and the general consensus was that they are an enormous pain to keep dust-free as there are so many crannies.

In the end I went for a gorgeous stripy wool carpet and painted the skirting boards instead for a similar effect but less hoovering!

ReginaPhalange1 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:08:17

Hi
Yes they work
Most good carpet retailers will be able to do that for you ... it's not difficult.. they will cut to size you require and get the runner whipped so it doesn't fray. You can have stair rods fitted on each step or without.
There are loads of different carpet manufacturers that do lovely designs
Google these just as options:
Crucial trading company - these do lovely striped carpets
Louis de portiere
Brockways carpets
Ryalux
Brintons
Axminster

And for stair rods go to stairrods.co.uk

My one advice to you would be to get it all done via a reputable carpet retailer that has decent carpet fitters ..
once you find one you can go on checkatrade to check them out..

Good luck

HeyToTheHo Sat 04-Feb-17 11:50:51

Very helpful.

Hmm dust in nooks and crannies, not great but they look so pretty!

Our stairs are standard 30s semi stairs straight up from bottom with a 90 degree turn (with stairs fanning round the turn iykwim) at the top then going up to the landing.

Thinking stairs rods would look nicest...

seven201 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:53:02

Roger oats do gorgeous stair runners. Very expensive though!

ReginaPhalange1 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:06:56

Yes roger Oates is on the pricey side ..
But just looks fab on floor
Iam jel I wish I could redecorate but live in rented place so no such thing.

ggirl Sat 04-Feb-17 12:17:51

I looked into it but the extra cleaning/dusting of the wooden exposed bits put me off
i went for striped carpet instead

seven201 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:12:37

I have this one. But those aren't my stairs!

Tubbyinthehottub Sat 04-Feb-17 13:16:37

They look great but nightmare to keep dust free

HeyToTheHo Sat 04-Feb-17 20:04:27

@seven201 do you have that carpet on the landing? Stripe going at 90 degrees or in line with the stripe down the stairs?

Also if you have a turn in the stairs how does the stripe look?

Not sure if we'd go for a stripe but wonders how it would work...?

seven201 Sat 04-Feb-17 21:05:05

Ours goes straight into carpet as it just seemed easier for our stair set-up. Our stair area is really dark so excuse the crap photos. I don't really suffer from the dust in the crannies issue hmm

seven201 Sat 04-Feb-17 21:06:43

We had it fitted about 9 months ago but still haven't got round to touching up the white paint that's cracked a bit when the stairs were hammered into stair runner submission blush

HeyToTheHo Sat 04-Feb-17 21:45:59

Hmmm. I don't think we'd go for stripe/ pattern (even though I love the stripe you have!) as if it was off around the bend even slightly it would drive me mad...

But I think we will do it! Dust bunnies be damned!

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:02:33

I have a runner it looks lovely. Dh is s floor layer. I agree go to a decent shop. He fits loads of runners the latest trend seems to be leather trimmed runners !! Too modern for my house. Their are so many different varieties you can choose from. We have a very subtle stripe in the landing. Matching runner down the stairs. Then a plain carpet that matches the stripe in the hallway with a long runner in the hall made out off the left over carpet. This was professional made. You can get some stunning stair rods although we don't have them. As for dust. Yes you do get dust gathering on the woodwork (we painted it ejyption cotton dulux) but iv got a hand held Dyson which is perfect for stairs and only takes a minute. It would be a pain without the handheld

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:04:08

Sorry for typos ..... Long day

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:12:34

seven your hallway is lovely.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Sat 04-Feb-17 23:23:40

Who cares about dust???

I had stair runners in my previous house (Victorian villa) and I bloody loved them.

seven201 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:30:27

Thanks mcchicken. The awful photo makes it look like the runner and landing carpet don't go, but they do! I also have a hand held vacuum, so maybe that's why I don't find the dust an issue or maybe I just don't see it.

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:36:36

I love the colours you have, carpet is beautiful.
exit dh said you do realise the paintwork will get really dusty .... ( we have a really dusty house, live on a main rd) I didn't care. Just wanted a runner grin

ReginaPhalange1 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:17:36

Seven201
Lovely runner and great fitting job as well. Looks fab wink

seven201 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:32:45

Aw thanks smile

TattiePants Mon 06-Feb-17 18:08:49

I have a turn in my stairs, two separate flights with a half landing and a herringbone stripped carpet. It's been down about a year and I love it and it's easy to keep clean. It does get a bit dusty plus we have a cat but a quick blast with a hand-held Gtech twice a week is enough. The edges of the carpet are turned rather than whipped but any good carpet store will be able to advise.

TattiePants Mon 06-Feb-17 18:10:07

Forgot to upload image

HeyToTheHo Mon 06-Feb-17 21:38:36

Lovely tatty!

HeyToTheHo Mon 06-Feb-17 21:38:51

Oops I mean tattie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now