Talk

Advanced search

Solid oak floor - white or cream woodwork?

(10 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 01-Feb-17 00:30:39

I've recently replaced the nasty living room carpet with solid oak flooring. The room is completely almond white/ cream - walls, skirting, doors and picture rail - courtesy of previous owners. Oh and the ceiling too grin

It's been perfectly liveable thus far but I want to make a few subtle changes.

I've started off painting the skirting with white satinwood to make the new floor stand out. My plan was to paint the ceiling white down to the picture rail (about 30cm below ceiling) and the give the picture rail and doors a coat of white satinwood. I'll also paint the chimneybreast alcoves some kind of greige or v.pale aqua for contrast. Rest of walls and chimneybreast will remain almond/cream.

I'm now questioning my choice. Is white woodwork a bit identikit? Am I making a faux pas painting over the cream? Will it clash with almond walls? Are there rules to this sort of thing? Do I even care grin

The windows and my Ikea expedit/kallax bookcase are white. Other colours come from tan leather suite and teal/aqua cushions, canvases etc. Curtains are cream with a taupe band wink

Pinterest tells me it will look good but I'm new to decorating and having a wobble (over white of all things).

Help!

MelOrSue Wed 01-Feb-17 00:54:45

I really don't think it matters.

White will look great and will be easiest to touch up at a later date. I mixup creams and whites all the time. Cream would also look great too...

OlennasWimple Wed 01-Feb-17 01:00:40

My answer to about 80% of paint colour queries is Dulux Timeless....

SoleBizzz Wed 01-Feb-17 01:14:15

Cream

MelOrSue Wed 01-Feb-17 01:20:26

The reason you are thinking it might look a bit identikit is because it's a popular look but that's because it's such a lovely classic smart look. It's not going to date and it's going to look clean fresh and modern regardless of whether you chose white or cream for the woodwork.

MakeItStopNeville Wed 01-Feb-17 01:30:30

I always want to embrace the coloured ceiling and woodwork look but I know it would irritate me within about 10 minutes so I always stick with white. I think it looks great with wood floors.

Kr1stina Wed 01-Feb-17 02:26:37

Personally I would paint the wallls in a colour, such as mid blue /green, as you have teal cushions and it looks lovely against oak floors and leather furniture .

It's only up to the picture rail anyway , and everything else in the room is neutral. I'd keep the woodwork white.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:51:40

Definitely white. Its popular because its classic and sets off the room beautifully whatever colour is on the walls. Yes to white ceiling and above the picture rail, and white picture rail. Your room sounds lovely by the way.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 01-Feb-17 15:01:22

Gosh thank you for all the responses!

I shall proceed with white and consider painting the walls as Kr1stina suggests flowers

Kr1stina Wed 01-Feb-17 16:51:38

Yeah! Please don't go for pastel, all that neutral will set off a mid tone beautifully .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now