Talk

Advanced search

How can i make this kitchen bearable for a few months ....?

(28 Posts)
flownthecoopkiwi Thu 26-Jan-17 00:02:11

Until we get it redone and possibly extended. Will have a black/silver freestanding cooker.

Wall colours? Accessories? Flame thrower?

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 26-Jan-17 00:08:44

If you're redoing it in a few months I wouldn't bother wasting money on it, personally. I'd just see it as a functional space and spend my time in there planning my changes.

PickAChew Thu 26-Jan-17 00:11:40

Just leave it be. It's months, not years.

FauxFox Thu 26-Jan-17 00:14:25

Paint the cupboard doors and walls white, use black and silver accessories to match the cooker? You can get some quite convincing black slate link tiles for the floor if you wanted to?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 26-Jan-17 00:15:04

Invite the local yoof to bring their spray cans of paint and graffiti the crap out of it!

Or paint the walls peacock blue (as long as you don't mind having to eventually repaint with at least 4 coats of white)

FauxFox Thu 26-Jan-17 00:16:58

Lino not link

I think if I were you I would just get the walls done white or cream and live with it...the yellow would depress me too much to ignore but you don't want to waste money...

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Thu 26-Jan-17 00:19:15

I agree that it's not worth it for just a few months. However, if you are desperate to go ahead, I decorated our kitchen on a really low budget years ago (to sell) and it looked fab.

I painted the tiles with tile paint (B&Q will advise on primers, etc)
Bought rolls of sticky plastic to cover cupboard doors (remove handles first. It's tricky to avoid air bubbles so it takes time but finish was great)
Painted walls a really bright colour and bought a cheap matching blind.
Matching accessories.

But, for a few months? Save a couple of hundred quid and make do grin

Manumission Thu 26-Jan-17 00:19:34

The yellow walls are the worst part. If you painted them in a shade of cream or stone, the whole room would look more coordinated.

Dumpedabroad Thu 26-Jan-17 00:24:03

I'd just get rid of the yellow and wait it out.

Sleepybunny Thu 26-Jan-17 00:24:24

I agree with the others. Maybe just accessorise with things that are more to your taste and look forward to your new kitchen.
If you're extending and have a lengthy wait I'd paint the walls. Yellow would depress me too.
The previous owners of our house had a thing for yellow and beige in the kitchen too. hmm

justaweeone Thu 26-Jan-17 11:41:02

Paint the walls and tiles cream and get rid if that awful strip light!!
Spend time looking on Pinterest to detract yourself from looking at current kitchen....

Manumission Thu 26-Jan-17 11:50:09

Yes! Make a huge RL mood board too! smile

TheChosen1 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:51:38

Another vote for tile paint and wall paint.

Titsywoo Thu 26-Jan-17 11:57:02

For a few months I wouldn't waste my time and effort. It's perfectly livable as it is.

RumAppleGinger Thu 26-Jan-17 11:58:48

Just leave it. Why waste money on something that is going to change again and be perfect in a few months time.

When we moved into this house I hated the kitchen, almost didn't even view the place because I hated the kitchen so much and made DH agree that we would immediately start saving for a new kitchen if we were going to buy the house. When we moved in I didn't change a thing. My hatred of it spurred me on to save my hardest and be completely rid of it all the sooner!

RumAppleGinger Thu 26-Jan-17 11:59:39

Also it makes for better before and after photos wink

trixymalixy Thu 26-Jan-17 12:43:11

When i had a kitchen like that I bought some fablon especially for kitchen cupboard doors. It made a huge difference to how they looked.

You can buy stainless steel splashbacks very cheaply on ebay and just stick them on.

minipie Thu 26-Jan-17 14:24:05

I have no idea how expensive this is but I think changing the light (to something non fluorescent) will have the most impact.

And painting the walls - buy your tester pots now and start a patchwork effect grin

savagehk Thu 26-Jan-17 14:26:30

It's usable for a few months without changes imo.

JassfluteIntervention Thu 26-Jan-17 14:37:54

I'd do something that would be fun but probably not practical for a long-term kitchen and get some rubber plant/cheeseplant type things for the windowsill and some candles in wicker baskets. Stick bright postcards and pictures over the cupboard doors. Definitely change the main light. Get some lamps for the corner and some fairy lights. A disco ball. A bright Persian rug. Make it party kitchen grin

Petalbird Thu 26-Jan-17 14:42:03

Is it just me that can see what's wrong with...... (maybe being in rented makes it look good)

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-Jan-17 14:48:48

For a few months I'd put the money you would have spent towards something nice for the new kitchen. Do you really think it's worth the effort or the expense? I sympathise though-we've got artex everywhere that in some rooms we're going to have to live with for at least a year until we can afford to get it done.

Manumission Thu 26-Jan-17 16:39:02

It's just a bit tired isn't it petal? I've seen much worse, I agree.

mogloveseggs Thu 26-Jan-17 16:44:55

petal snap grin I've had some minging kitchens in rented. Op maybe tone down the yellow but other than that I'd wait if you're changing it.

JJBlinks Fri 27-Jan-17 18:12:07

Spend the time planning what you want and where to put things. Our kitchen in our last house was like this - it was grim as it was so sticky.... we just lived with it and spent the time planning exactly what we wanted in our new kitchen. I drew plans all the time until I got what I wanted in all the space I had. Personally rather than spending the £ now i would save it and put towards a more expensive worktop or dishawasher etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now