Talk

Advanced search

Mirrors, sunlight and fires - can I fire proof a mirror?

(8 Posts)
Brightredpencil Tue 24-Jan-17 19:10:04

I have two mirrors Is like to hang in my sitting room but am fairly sure that at some point in the year/day they will have direct sunlight on them (coming in through a window). One mirror has quite pronounced convex glass in it and the other is just a 'normal' mirror. Is there a film or varnish or something I can use to prevent them causing a fire should sunlight catch them?

Jamhandprints Tue 24-Jan-17 19:14:18

I don't think mirrors are THAT dangerous. Have you been watching too much fireman sam?

dodgydonkeysdoodah Tue 24-Jan-17 19:18:16

I had a magnifying mirror in the sun on my west-facing dressing table which melted the handle of a nearby hairbrush quite seriously. I felt I had had a lucky escape.

Brightredpencil Tue 24-Jan-17 19:19:00

Whilst you are completely correct about my fireman Sam habit I do remember seeing something by my local force...
Just found it
www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_warningassunstunscelebrity.asp#.WIeoC9ZFDqA

125 fires caused by mirrors over 5 years.... so not unusual!

CatchIt Tue 24-Jan-17 22:14:39

It is very dangerous Jam, my friends parents Cottage burnt down due to a vanity mirror which caught the sun. Luckily they were out at the time but everything inside was gone including their dogs. Just awful. sad

tribpot Tue 24-Jan-17 22:18:27

Yes, I also have a friend who had a fairly serious house fire caused by a mirror - the fire melted the water pipes as well so the house was wrecked by both fire and water, what a complete nightmare. No loss of life in their fire though - how awful for your friend's parents, Catchit.

Looks like the fire brigade advice is to keep them out of direct sunlight - I would move the mirrors.

Thinkingblonde Tue 24-Jan-17 22:28:45

I wouldn't risk it, I don't think there's anything that can fireproof a mirror in the way you want. Apart from a cover over it.

clumsyduck Tue 24-Jan-17 22:30:45

It's not the mirror that needs fire proofing its whatever the the thing is the light is reflected on to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now