Talk

Advanced search

Are branded bins really worth the money?

(23 Posts)
Sarb81 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:06:04

Have my eye on a bin but its a mouth watering £87...are they actually better than your addis type plastic bins?!

TIA ☺

Hulababy Sat 21-Jan-17 10:07:28

Often it's just the way they look.

Mind I can't say anything. We spend almost £200 on a kitchen in when we did our extension a year or so ago! It does look much better in the kitchen though seeing as it is in view a little.

AuntiePenguin Sat 21-Jan-17 10:11:25

The Brabantia ones lock smells inside better than any other bin I've found. We use one nappies and one for smelly food waste, as it's not collected very often. So worth it for us but depends how stinky your rubbish is.

MiladyThesaurus Sat 21-Jan-17 10:11:57

We bought a ludicrously expensive branded bin when we moved to this house because it would be on display. It's actually really well designed (it's a two compartment one).

DH grumbled so much about the price but he's now a bit obsessed by how much he loves his bin. I fear he may need to get out more.

dalek Sat 21-Jan-17 10:12:39

They can be. I have a Brabantis 50 litre one which I paid £70 about 10 years ago - DH thought I was bonkers but it still looks brilliant. I have had to replace the lid a couple of times as plastic bits have broken.

I was so impressed I bought my mother one and theirs is still going strong as well. Two of my sisters have also bought them on seeing ours.

dalek Sat 21-Jan-17 10:13:05

Brabantia

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 21-Jan-17 10:13:33

Mine cost around that but it has a ten year guarantee. Prior to that I got through four £30 bins in six years (the plastic inside bit kept splitting).

Sunnydaysrock Sat 21-Jan-17 10:15:29

We bought Brabantia too about 12 years ago. It's well worth the money. The bottom broke about 6 years in and they replaced whole bin for free. Recently replaced a part on the lid which cost about £3. Would highly recommend. We had loads of cheap bins before we took the plunge.

Snap8TheCat Sat 21-Jan-17 10:16:02

I have a lovely two part (rubbish and recycling) Simple Human one. It's brilliant, slim and I've had it about four years. It's suddenly knackered, lid broken and shine is peeling off but I will probably replace with the same product.

Imfinehowareyou Sat 21-Jan-17 10:16:02

I find it weird how we resent spending money on something we use coutless times a day. I have bought so many plastic cheapy bins in my lifetime but can't imagine spending £70+ on one. Yet the cost per use must be tiny.

Mummysh0rtlegs Sat 21-Jan-17 10:16:29

I've got a simple human bin with two canisters in it (one rubbish and one recycling). Cost over £100 six years ago. Still going strong and can't see I'll need to change it any time soon.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 21-Jan-17 10:16:43

A bins a bin, what else do they do but hold rubbish, but the expensive ones might look nicer.

I have very cheap plastic ikea in cupboard bins so I don't care what they look like and wouldn't really want a bin on show even if it was a stylish one.

MiladyThesaurus Sat 21-Jan-17 10:18:36

Mummysh0rtlegs I think we have the same bin.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Sat 21-Jan-17 10:21:17

Snap8 - you should check out the guarantee on your bin. My Simplehuman bin has a ten year one.

Sarb81 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:55:36

Thank you all for your replies! Its the Simplehuman two part bin im looking at....hmmm, may just have to but it 😁

MiladyThesaurus Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:52

Get it OP. Then you can join DH in the simplehuman bin fan club.

Sainsbury's large tall bin liners fit it (and I assume all other supermarkets sell much the same product) so you don't have to buy the branded ones when the packet that comes with the bin runs out.

NotMeNoNo Sat 21-Jan-17 11:11:26

Discovered that Brabantia now do a version of the Ikea in cupboard bins so got a new one with a better lid for £15, felt that was extravagant!

Mummysh0rtlegs Sat 21-Jan-17 11:14:08

We have a dash button for the bags. Because it's fun and fast!

Mummysh0rtlegs Sat 21-Jan-17 11:16:56

simplehuman Butterfly Recycler, 40 L - Fingerprint-Proof Stainless Steel www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0085G725M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sk0GybMHHWW4D?tag=mumsnetforum-21

This is ours but any of the simple human are good and it's great having two compartments. We've actually had it longer than six years it might be 8.

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Sat 21-Jan-17 11:22:48

Yep I've had my 60L Branbantia for 9 years. There's no rust, the lid mechanism still works and it traps smells completely.

MiladyThesaurus Sat 21-Jan-17 11:28:13

Actually ours was this ludicrously expensive one. I'd forgotten it cost quite that much.

mysteryfairy Sat 21-Jan-17 11:38:50

We've had the same brabantia kitchen bin for at least 12 years. I'm sick of it but it shows no sign of deterioration. The branded bin bags are quite pricey too but oddly useful purchase for getting John Lewis orders into free delivery zone!

We have various wesco bins in bathrooms and so on - they really are pretty in as much as a bin can be! They're probably even more of an extravagance than a pricey kitchen bin. I think my little bathroom bin was £60.

Ivanaflump Sat 21-Jan-17 11:42:18

I have the simple human one too milady blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now