Talk

Advanced search

Wallpapering a bathroom???

(8 Posts)
hanban89 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:36:26

We bought a new build so the walls were all very plain. The only room I haven't touched are the bathroom. Someone who had paid a deposit on the house before us picked the tiles etc but their mortgage never came through. I just really dislike the tiles, but can't afford to re-tile, so wondered if I could spruce up the bathroom walls with wallpaper. The floor tiles are grey, wall tiles are beige. Just not my cuppa tea. Is wallpaper a bad idea for a bathroom?

sonlypuppyfat Tue 17-Jan-17 15:37:48

My parents always used to wallpaper the bathroom

LightastheBreeze Tue 17-Jan-17 18:29:53

We have half tiles and half wallpaper, it is fine but get the plastic coated wallpaper which is for bathrooms. our has pictures of fish on it.

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 14:45:02

We have wallpaper in ours (not our doing) above wood panelling and it is fine. Just ordinary wallpaper.

KatherinaMinola Wed 18-Jan-17 14:47:57

I really wouldn't - we had to scrape mouldy wallpaper from our bathroom when we moved in.

BelfastSmile Wed 18-Jan-17 14:53:44

My house originally had wallpaper in the bathroom. It was special waterproof stuff, kind of foam-based, I think, rather than paper. It was a nightmare to remove (came off in tiny, tiny pieces), but otherwise was fine.

You can get tile paint, though, which might be much easier (are you planning to paper over the files or remove them first?). Go to B&Q or somewhere and they'll be able to advise you on options.

wowfudge Wed 18-Jan-17 16:25:04

As long as you ventilate a bathroom you shouldn't have any problems. I grew up in a house with wallpapered bathroom walls above tiled splash backs and there were never anyoukd issues - use the extractor fan and open windows in summer, it'll be fine.

WeeM Sat 21-Jan-17 10:00:16

My parents bathroom has had wallpaper for about 20 years and it's only really starting to come away at the corners now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now