Talk

Advanced search

Decorating little boys bedroom

(13 Posts)
kel12345 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:59:44

We are going to be decorating our little boys room within the next week or so.
He's 16 months old and quite likes paw patrol. My dh thought it would be nice to give his room a theme, and said we could do it all in paw patrol (bed, toy organiser, lamp and light shade, rug, curtains, bedding, cushion. And maybe get wallpaper for the feature wall and paint the rest blue.
I suggested keeping it simpler with blue paint all round, a normal non branded or charactered toddler bed, normal blue curtains. Then maybe just mix and match the other bits bits (light shade and lamp, rug, toy storage- say paw patrol lamp and light shade, Thomas rug. And then he could have a paw patrol bedding set, as well as a different one- Thomas for example. Just so it's not all one character. He could also have plain bedding and stuff as well, doesn't all need to be a certain character).

I can understand where he's saying (I had my whole room barbie when I was a child). But my reasons for saying no are: it will be more expensive, we are living in a rented student house and don't know how many years we will actually live here- we have another year and a half so far, this may extend or may not- depending on circumstances- so is it worth spending all that extra money if we do end up moving out next year? And if we do stay, though he likes paw patrol now, in 3 or 4 years time he may not. Then what do we do if he wants his room changing?
Whereas if we keep it simpler with nice boy colours and a variety of branded things, it will be cheaper, and if we do move next year it won't be as much of a shame to leave it behind. The other thing is we have to get permission from the landlord to decorate a different colour. He's pretty relaxed and we have a good relationship with him, and he probably won't object to a nice blue colour (and not say we need to repaint- though we will if needs be), but if it's wallpapered with paw patrol, we will defiantly have to redecorate before we do move out.

Who's making the better suggestion, me or my husband?

EssentialHummus Fri 13-Jan-17 22:02:14

You, by far. Cheaper, easier, more practical. Your DS will be happy enough with a few Paw Patrol bits, no need to go mad!

kel12345 Fri 13-Jan-17 22:05:44

Thank you essential- just wanted to make sure it wasn't me being a selfish mummy (I had the full barbie room as a child, but my parents owned the house).
I just thought it seemed pointless, especially as we don't know how long we will be living here. (I'll just tell my dh that hopefully when we buy our first home then he can decorate our son's room (and hopefully our daughter's room too by that point) however they want).

StorminaBcup Fri 13-Jan-17 22:05:55

You are. My ds is 3 and was mad about postman pat at the age but it quickly changed to fireman Sam. It's so much easier and cheaper to accessorise, plus if he goes off paw patrol you won't have to redecorate.

kel12345 Fri 13-Jan-17 22:11:54

That's the thing, I don't want him to just be into one thing. I'd prefer him to have things that are of all different characters.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 14-Jan-17 08:52:42

You're right. Though I would looked at themed bedding too. Even if you owned the own and planned to stay there for years, he just won't be that interested in paw patrol in a few years time.

TenThousandSpoons Sat 14-Jan-17 11:27:50

He might not be interested in Paw Patrol in 3 or 4 months, let alone years! My son loved it for a bit but it was a short lived phase. Definitely don't do the wallpaper but you can probably get some wall stickers that would be much cheaper and easy to change. Something not linked to a tv show (dinosaurs/aeroplanes?) might have more longevity. He will love his new room I'm sure and a couple of Paw Patrol accessories will be the icing on the cake.

kel12345 Sat 14-Jan-17 12:43:08

Thanks everyone. I defiantly think that plain walls and a few charactered bits will be better.

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:41:19

I once did a themed room op it was a massive mistake. It dated quickly and ds out grew it within months. I never liked it and was the tackiest kids wrong iv ever done. Not to say paw patrol would be but mine def was. Yep plain walls then add accessories

Badders123 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:46:27

We did our boys bedrooms in the summer
(They are older though)
Ds1 has Star Wars and ds2 had minecraft
We simply painted the walls white and used vinyl wall decals which we can simply peel
Off when the boys want to change the theme
See below;

TenThousandSpoons Sat 14-Jan-17 19:57:58

Love the Minecraft lampshade! Where is it from?

Chrisinthemorning Sat 14-Jan-17 20:05:38

Yes I would do in plain paint and curtains etc and then use wall stickers ,lampshade and bedding for the theme.
We've just done this with a space theme. Blue walls and blue star curtains, space bedding and then a wall with solar system wall stickers.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 23-Jan-17 08:07:38

I have two pre school age boys and I painted their bedroom white and have white beds, a large white chest of drawers and we wallpapered one wall in a blue / grey check paper from Next.

I didn't go for any characters in the room and it is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now