Talk

Advanced search

Making a feature of the chimney breast - naff or not?!

(23 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Wed 11-Jan-17 17:34:02

in my lounge, all other walls neutral. Has TV on it but just feel it needs a bit of something but I don't know what!!

insancerre Wed 11-Jan-17 17:39:52

I have silvery trees on a black wallpaper on mine
I love it

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:01:21

I have grey paint and hearts on mine. Ignore all the toys- when the room is tidy it looks beautiful!

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-Jan-17 19:30:14

Both look lovely, thanks for sharing, think I shall paint it!

I rather like the hearts above the mirror, not sure what I could put above a tv without it looking silly.

wobblywonderwoman Wed 11-Jan-17 19:31:32

I have a sign above the TV. It is the width of the TV. Will try to link

civilfawlty Wed 11-Jan-17 19:33:16

Lots if people will love it, but in terms of being current or not, it's a bit done to death. I'd suggest doing the whole wall, chimney breast, skirting etc, rather than just the chimney breast.

rhuhbarb4 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:33:20

Isnt that what chimney breasts are for? If your tv is currently on the chimney breast i wouldn't recommend wallpapering it with something that has a busy pattern or painting it a deep or dark colour. I would go with a pastel or understated colour otherwise it might be too much for your eyes!

Whatabloodyidiot1 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:37:21

A chimney breast is for a fire, to take the smoke up and out of the chimney! Not a decorating feature.....
I think it's tacky and a bit 90's.....reminds me of the programme 'changing rooms'
My room is just painted all one colour.

rhuhbarb4 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:13:06

And what if you dont have a fire in your chimney breast anymore?

My comment was 'light hearted' by the way i am well aware what a chimney breast is used for.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:18:28

Calm down rhubarb I was joking.....hmm

highwoodwitch Wed 11-Jan-17 20:19:57

I have the chimney breast and an archway painted pale blue/grey and the other walls ivory. I do not have a TV on it though so to introduce a complimentary colour in your room perhaps consider the alcoves instead.

dudsville Wed 11-Jan-17 20:21:39

Every inch of wall in my house is the same colour but I've seen people have a lot of fun with wall paper and "feature" colours. Do what you like!

SausageSoda Wed 11-Jan-17 20:21:57

I've done it in reverse. Lovely wallpaper (imo grin) on the walls either side of the chimney breast and then plain F&B navy paint (midnight blue or something like that) on the chimney breast itself.

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-Jan-17 21:19:26

I am going to paint it this colour which I have on one wall in the adjoining room which is separated by double doors. So when the doors are opened up the colours will flow 😄

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:28:56

I have the same sort of thing, op. I'm a through lounge/dining room I have the grey on the chimney breast in the lounge and the opposite wall of the dining room so it's all the same 'theme' but not overpowering. I think you have to do what you like- it's your home after all. I'm old fashioned I suppose in that I like the woodwork/skirting in white and I love the grey but wouldn't want the whole room grey. It would be way too dark!

Do what makes you happy and makes you smile when you walk in the door.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Wed 11-Jan-17 21:43:20

We've just spent a fortune making the fireplace blend in more. I don't love TVs there at all. It makes you look up unnaturally high I think.

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-Jan-17 21:51:00

All lovely chimney breasts! Due to layout of room tv has to go there - I wasn't keen at first but used to it now - we actually reduced the height of the opening so tv sits lower but still room for fire.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:02:42

You can get a bracket that tilts the to forward so you don't have to look up at such an angle I think. I'm not a fan of the tv on the wall, but I can ne'er stand the benefits when it frees up a whole corner of your room

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:03:21

Ne'er stand ?? What? That should say understand!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 11-Jan-17 22:34:55

My lounge is cream/ almond and I'm about to paint the alcoves a different colour. I've done the same upstairs and for some reason it makes the room look bigger shock grin

refusetobeasheep Wed 11-Jan-17 22:38:13

Amazing what a bit of colour and a stonking clock can do .....

llangennith Wed 11-Jan-17 22:41:20

I like that refuse smile

DorcasthePuffin Wed 11-Jan-17 23:52:52

That's a lovely colour, Jungfraujoch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now