Talk

Advanced search

Colour Scheme Throughout

(8 Posts)
LoisEinhorn Sun 08-Jan-17 18:20:27

Do you have the same colour scheme (roughly) throughout or do you purposely make sure you have different colours?

RealHouswifeofBury Sun 08-Jan-17 22:29:08

I don't at the moment but we are going to do this,this year.
We just have to agree on colour and tone

DorcasthePuffin Sun 08-Jan-17 22:36:07

I do, kind of. I didn't necessarily plan it that way, but I know what I like (autumnal colours) and I tend to use them. Also, my rooms are small and quite cluttered, and I think visually it's kind of easier if I don't chop and change the colours too much. Most of my walls are some kind of grey, though it does vary from a pale blue-grey in one bedroom to a warmer greige in others, and a very pale grey (almost white) throughout the hall and stairs. In most rooms the accent colours are some mix of mustard, olive and burnt orange, though in one room I've used a lot of F&B Pigeon with plum accents. But yes, my whole house pretty much screams 'autumn lover'. Though I'm about to paint my daughter's room midnight blue, so that will ring a change.

Namechanger5432121 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:59:21

I have just come on here to post a similar question! We are in the midst of whole house renovation and I am going mad trying to visualise each room and then the house as a whole.

I have seen so many different styles and colours but now undecided on each room!

Are you redecorating your whole house?

LoisEinhorn Mon 09-Jan-17 13:06:09

We're working out way through and I wondered if it was too much to have similar colours, but then I don't want a colour I don't like lol.
Our lounge is a lilac/purple and cream with grey sofas and I think we'll end up with those colours in the dining room and bedroom.
Our kitchen has pale yellow units so unsure what to put with those.

Puffin that's the colours I like, and yellows. I like blues and greens when other people do it grin

DorcasthePuffin Mon 09-Jan-17 13:10:07

I think it's a mistake to decorate each room identically. To get the 'flow' it's better to stick to a palette and then use it slightly differently in each room. So you might have all your rooms painted grey, say, but ranging in intensity from off-white to charcoal. And you might use green in a major way in one room - say, a feature wall - but only touches of it in another room.

Do you see what I mean? It's having enough continuity to give you flow, but enough change to add interest.

Roseandbee Mon 09-Jan-17 23:05:28

you need to consider the natural light in each room, even if you do use the same colour they could all look different. You can also use colours to make space appear bigger or smaller and generally if its a dark room you want to avoid dark colours unless your purposely going for a snug/intimate look. So i pick colours depending on what i'm trying to achieve

LoisEinhorn Tue 10-Jan-17 17:20:16

Yes I get that Puffin, great tip smile

Thanks Rose flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now