Talk

Advanced search

Vinyl or ceramic tiles for kitchen?

(2 Posts)
fudgecat Fri 06-Jan-17 10:27:26

Currently planning to redo the kitchen and am looking into flooring options, at the moment I'm looking at luxury vinyls like anticipated and karndean but I have also seen some ceramic tiles that also look good, any opinions on what the pros and cons are for each?

wowfudge Fri 06-Jan-17 12:03:03

I am getting LVT samples for ours at lunchtime. Pros - warm to the touch, quiet to walk on. Vacuum and mop to keep clean. Cons - it's as good as the fitting really. Poor fitting means you'll have problems. You can't use a steam cleaner as it can loosen the adhesive. The untextured ones can scratch - you need pads on the feet of all furniture anyway.

Fitting can cost more than the flooring. I have found an online retailer which means the product works out quite cheap. Must be fitted to a level surface so marine ply must be screwed to the subfloor first then a screed is applied to fill any gaps.

Ceramic pros: cheaper to fit (make sure you don't have a very pale grout), can be very cheap to buy. Easy to clean and robust. Cons - cold, echoes in large areas. If you drop things they will break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now