Talk

Advanced search

Revamp living room

(14 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Tue 03-Jan-17 20:40:10

I'm trying to make my living room cosy (for minimal spend). At the moment I have two brown sofas (one leather, so cold to touch), a brown rug, brown tv cabinet/shelves - it's all a bit brown!

Curtains are a muted green/gold - they're longer than standard length so I'd struggle to replace them.

I have a couple of cream throws, but they don't stay put on the sofas!

Walls are white as it's quite a small/dark space.

Any ideas for creating a cosy environment and injecting a bit of colour?

Fantasticmissfoxy Wed 04-Jan-17 01:55:27

Can you post a pic?

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 02:00:50

What about something like this ?

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 02:07:02

Or this might go better with your curtains .

user1477282676 Wed 04-Jan-17 02:11:48

Brown, green and gold are all reall netural. You could add some pink or red to warm it up.

Choose things with a bit of print on them...and then you can make sure the print has not only the pink or red but also either some brown or green or gold to reflect the other colours.

What's your style? Do you like contemporary things or are you more classic? Vintage? Victorian?

user1477282676 Wed 04-Jan-17 02:13:07

Meant to add. The best way to add some depth and cosiness to a room is via lighting.

So....candles bunched together or new lamps....side lamps I mean. Choose some cheap ones and they will make a big difference.

Is there any art on the walls?

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 02:37:23

Do you mean this type of thing User ?

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 04-Jan-17 02:40:47

I'm getting carried away now , but I love interior design ! Shame I'm rubbish at it grin

user1477282676 Wed 04-Jan-17 03:26:27

Well it depends on OP's personal style really doesn't it...she might love those...or she might like things that look completely different. If she comes back and tells us what her idea style is, we can source her loads! grin

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 04-Jan-17 13:28:58

Thanks for the replies, at work at the moment it will respond properly when I'm done smile

daro Wed 04-Jan-17 13:43:02

What about something totally different. A dark blue. I think white on walls can some times make dark rooms look cold. I have painted my front room this colour, i havent put furniture in it yet but i love the colour smile. It is a dark room too but actually dosent look any darker with a this colour on the wall. I love brown leather with this colour too

This is hague blue....google it and look at the images loads of ideas.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 04-Jan-17 20:10:38

Thanks for all your suggestions!
I think I prefer daro's room (above) but I'm not sure how you'd describe that style. I love that blue but I think it would make the room feel smaller than it is if it was on the wall...

I like the idea of a bit of colour, not sure about pink, but red would be good.

How could I inject the colour? Cushions? Throws? Artwork?

I have some side lamps that improve things a bit, plus a dark green wall hanging from India and brown-toned monochrome (iyswim) picture, plus some photos.

It just doesn't feel very "put together" at the moment.

daro Thu 05-Jan-17 08:58:00

Itscurtainsforyou. we have a room painted that colour and i promise you it doesn't make it feel smaller. We went all out and painted the doors skirting and windowsill in the same colour. I'll admit we haven't done the floor yet or have proper furniture but the room definitely feel smaller.
I was very scared to do it (it was part of an overall house renovation) but i really didn't want light walls as it had previously been a light gold which made the room very cold.

downwardfacingdog Sat 07-Jan-17 21:06:27

I would also paint the walls even if you don't go as dark as the PP's image, as the PP said, white does tend to look cold in a dark room and a richer colour would warm it up. Also, Ikea curtains are very long, if you wanted to change those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now