Talk

Advanced search

Can I have two different types of sofa?

(17 Posts)
Sofassogood Sat 31-Dec-16 18:16:47

Well I know I can, the police won't come or anything, but will it look daft?
I need a two seater and a three seater in our new house. I'd love a recliner, have seen a grey fabric two seater that looks good. But I really don't want the matching three seat recliner - it looks enormous and there wouldn't really be room for anyone to recline in it without blocking the whole room.
Can I get a different style of sofa? Would it be better to match the colours, if not the same, or to go for a completely contrasting look?
Thanks for any ideas. It's been a very long time since I bought sofas!

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 31-Dec-16 18:19:45

Completely contrasting then link the two with cushions.

Hones on TV shows always have mismatched furniture and I always think how cosy it looks.

QuandryQueen Sat 31-Dec-16 18:20:08

I think the best way is to buy two of the same style in two different cover (eg a leather and a material one). Do they do a similar non recline?

If it's material I'd go for a leather one in a shape as close to the fabric one.

SwearyGodmother Sat 31-Dec-16 18:23:09

Our sofas don't match. We currently have a big cream 4 seater and a green chaise longue. I think it looks fab. We had a purple sofa with the chaise before but it wasn't comfortable enough so it had to go. I find matchy-matchy stuff a bit twee tbh. Matching colours can be nice but a matching suite is a bit much.

Sofassogood Sat 31-Dec-16 18:26:46

Thank you for such fast replies! You can bet on recliners the same type but they are literally £50 less - it doesn't make them any smaller though. I suppose I fancy a less chunky type for the three seater. Maybe I can persuade the folk in the furniture shop to move two together!
I would never have thought of a recliner but I sat on one once and thought I'd died and gone to heaven smile

Sofassogood Sat 31-Dec-16 18:34:52

So say recliner is something like this -
m.dfs.co.uk/toulon/tul43bpov#ilRhVbRxVCG7qe7s.97
but a two seater.

They will be at right angles. I have no sense of style so will definitely be taking advice from here.

starsinyourpies Mon 02-Jan-17 16:52:49

Nothing in my house matches and I much prefer it!

Sofassogood Mon 02-Jan-17 18:06:55

I have bought lovely cushions today so that is a start blush
The ad banner at the bottom of this page is showing me the sofas I've looked at side by side, which is actually going to be quite helpful!!

WeeM Sat 07-Jan-17 19:55:55

I am currently on the lookout for a chair that goes with my sofa but doesn't match iykwim. Have a look on Houzz-there's tons of ideas there. There's so much mismatching that looks great but I can't help but think if I did it it would just look daft!

downwardfacingdog Sat 07-Jan-17 20:28:39

I've got non-matching sofas and much prefer it to matching, I have a grey ikea ektorp 3 seater and this two seater www.made.com/orson-2-seater-sofa-pansy-purple I have lots of different cushions on both, but some greys, purples and other colours. I think if you have non-matching, it's best if one is a bit of a 'statement' sofa - strong colour, pattern, shape or leather.

downwardfacingdog Sat 07-Jan-17 20:29:28

P.s. I would never buy another sofa from made.com - shocking quality.

Sittingonthesofa Sat 07-Jan-17 20:30:15

We have a leather sofa and a completely different material sofa.

Sofassogood Sat 07-Jan-17 21:00:25

I was going "oohh" at that lovely purple sofa, and then read your next post! I've found lots of pictures of two different colour sofas, but they are usually the same actual style. I think recliners are quite ugly but I want the relaxation side of it so much! The children will mostly sit on the other one (I hope) so can't be too delicate sadly...
I do like ones with little legs which would certainly look different to the recliner.
Maybe like this, in a colour instead of the charcoal I'd planned?
www.dfs.co.uk/aurora/uro13hpza

downwardfacingdog Sat 07-Jan-17 21:27:45

I would definitely go for a contrasting colour rather than two different grey sofas. My purple sofa looked gorgeous for about 2 weeks. Within 6 months if had totally faded and the seat cushions had lost their shape. It's nearly three years old now and looks ancient. All the blue has faded out on the top and arms so it looks really grubby and brownish. It's quite comfy though to be fair.

Tigersteeth Sat 07-Jan-17 22:00:12

I'm having the same trauma... I want a 2 seater Superb, but don't really need a 3 seater recliner. I can't decide what else would go well!

Sofassogood Sat 07-Jan-17 22:46:32

What a shame downwardfacingdog it looks such a lovely colour originally.

Tigersteeth I've been looking at the Superb and the Allons - and now (based on advice here) have been trying to imagine them with something like the Escape sofa (not the lounger one though) which comes in turquoise and lime green and purple.

Tigersteeth Sat 07-Jan-17 23:27:48

I like Sprint too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now