Talk

Advanced search

Living in home whilst extension..

(7 Posts)
helloheather Wed 28-Dec-16 14:12:26

About to purchase a house that is too small on the basis that it's a good price which allows us to afford a full ground floor extension and new first floor master bedroom.

We're lucky enough (I think..) to be living with my parents currently (our old house has sold so an interim measure whilst the new one completes) and they are happy for us to stay there whilst we have the extension work done.

My issue is that living with my parents is fairly horrendous for us both (me and partner) but having had some work done whilst living in our previous house I just don't think I can bear to live in a construction site for 3+ months.

Has anyone who has lived through an extension got any tips on how to make it more manageable?

LeonardoAcropolis Wed 28-Dec-16 14:29:22

We had a ground floor extension earlier this year and didn't move out. It's doable. Our builders were very conscientious and always let us know what was happening and when, we had a curtain dividing the living room from the building site and we were still able to use our kitchen (or what was left of it), which was in the middle of the building site. The mess and the dust really got on my nerves but was preferable to living with my parents or in laws.

helloheather Wed 28-Dec-16 16:17:19

Thanks.. out of interest how long did it take roughly for your work to be done?

LeonardoAcropolis Wed 28-Dec-16 16:24:53

It was about four months, from the start of the foundations dig to the kitchen being installed. It did take longer than we were initially told but that was mainly due to our building contractor not being organised.

downwardfacingdog Sat 07-Jan-17 21:20:00

Haven't done it yet, but are intending on living through extensive ground floor extension and remodel hopefully later this year. Our plan is to move the living room up to the spare bedroom and set up a makeshift kitchen in the front room. The rest of the ground floor inc current kitchen is being knocked around. I'm expecting it to be tough, but we have 5 DC so no other option.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 09-Jan-17 09:51:48

Have just done it (double storey extension) with 3 DC. Build was 6 months. It was tough, but mainly because we lost the back of the house completely, so 4 of us were sleeping in one room, still had to do all the washing / cooking / organising that goes with a family. If its just you and your DP, it should be more manageable.

We put alot of furniture / belongings in storage, our builders were fantastic and ensured we had a washing machine / working cooker / sink etc throughout. The only time I wanted to actually move out was when we had no bathroom for 2 weeks - still had a cloakroom downstairs but had no bath / shower. Lots of trips to gym / swimming pool for kids / showering at work.

There was no possibility of moving out to stay with relatives - we could have rented had we had £££. In your position, I would maybe move into the house, use a couple of the rooms that won't be affected and move back into your parents for the occasional weekend / the week they knock through / do the bathroom etc.

ClaraAnnesley Tue 10-Jan-17 10:39:19

It depends how big is the house extension. If it quite big extension and long term and likely to involve lot of plumbing work then best would be to live somewhere else if at all possible. Friends, co-workers or even relatives. You might consider send kids ( if you have one) to your parent and live yourself in the house.

Offer them some fee so they would be more likely to accept you. The fee most likely would be much cheaper than renting a place to live.

Or like other members indicated occasionally move out especially when bathroom is not working.

If the house extension is not that big and If possible make builders only to enter house from back door or front door depends on where the extensions is going and build hardboard to prevent from entering space where you live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now