Talk

Advanced search

Christmas card hanging (in more ways than one)

(8 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfGrace Tue 27-Dec-16 15:18:50

Ok so not a major problem but I need advice. Every year it's the same I get a Christmas card holder & every bloody year the cards fall down. My family is very lucky to get so many but we don't live in a very big house, I love having them up but with a 2 yr old I find it very difficult as we have so many toys already & I'm not great with clutter. What do you all do or use for your cards? Any tips grateful received. So far I've had a metal wreath shaped holder & a cheap cardboard long length one which I knew wouldn't do the job but was disparate as the wreath thing got bent in loft (& also didn't work last year anyway) & didn't realise/remember it was broken until late. Thanks for reading & Merry Christmas fsmile

wowfudge Tue 27-Dec-16 15:45:48

Three methods - both involve strips of cards hung from picture rails.

1. Arrange cards in size and type order, so square cards together and rectangular cards together from large at top ending in small at the bottom, taped together on the backs, no gaps between the cards. Then use sticky tape inside the top of the card at the top of the strip to stick to the top of the picture rail.

2. Use decorative pegs to peg cards to a length of ribbon pinned (with a drawing pin) to the picture rail. Start with the ribbon in place and peg the cards on one by one with the ribbon at the back of the cards, largest cards at the top working down to smallest ones.

3. Pin a length of ribbon or string in a semi circle fixed to the picture rail at both ends. Hang cards over the string. A little peg on each card ensures they don't fall off when you walk past them or open a door near them.

Dyrne Tue 27-Dec-16 15:58:24

This year for the first time I ran a ribbon along one wall between 2 picture hooks, then bought a bag of teeny tiny pegs to peg them all up. You could probably use string and sellotape but I had a moment of weakness in the craft section of the Range.

It's been a revelation - looks festive plus no more cards falling off the sodding mantelpiece/windowsill!

Fadingmemory Tue 27-Dec-16 16:02:30

This year I cut a bunch of twigs to between 2 and 3 feet, painted them white (ordinary matt emulsion) then stapled cards to them. They are standing inside a vase which is concealed in a Christmas present bag. It is standing on the hearth. Holds about 25 cards

Boredomismyenemy Tue 27-Dec-16 16:04:37

I run ribbon down the wall fixed with a drawing pin into the coving around the ceiling. I use tiny gold and silver pegs from Poundland to fix the cards on. Looks neat, still festive and the cards have never fallen down!

ChapstickLegends Tue 27-Dec-16 16:06:03

My grandmother used to have something vaguely like this (but less ugly) : www.crafts-for-all-seasons.com/Christmas-card-holder.html

Definitely does the job!

ForTheLoveOfGrace Tue 27-Dec-16 17:07:41

You guys are awesome thank you. I'm actually looking forward to next years cards now not dreading it. fwink

FritzyMousey Wed 28-Dec-16 19:23:50

Ours get blu-tacked to a door

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now