Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How would you paint this?

(8 Posts)
Brainrack Tue 27-Dec-16 13:52:50

Moving into our own place soon after many years in rented, so wanting to have a bit of fun with paint colours. Was thinking of buying these as bedside tables and jollying them up with paint and perhaps some brass knobs to replace the wood ones

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/chest-of-drawers/hurdal-chest-of-2-drawers-light-brown-art-60269024/

Not had a chance to call into IKEA yet, to look at surface finish, but I think they are just plain varnish. Would I be able to paint straight over with gloss, or should it be primed in some way?

wowfudge Tue 27-Dec-16 15:48:58

I'd use a coat of a Zinsser primer suitable for varnished wood then use satinwood or gloss paint over the top. No need to sand.

Boredomismyenemy Tue 27-Dec-16 16:16:06

I've used chalk paint straight onto a heavily varnished dressing table and once waxed achieved a lovely finish. Chalk paint is brilliant for furniture makeovers, it's amazing what you can do! I've always used autentico paints.

Brainrack Tue 27-Dec-16 22:37:16

Thank you both, I'll do a bit of research. Sounds like the Zinsser might be the thing, but I hadn't thought about a chalk rather than gloss finish. Time for more daydreaming with colour cards smile

indecisivedoctor Tue 27-Dec-16 22:52:20

If you have one near you Zara Home have a lovely range of unusual replacement knobs. I always think they'd be fab on a project like your describing. Properly bespoke.

Brainrack Wed 28-Dec-16 09:00:54

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation - I'll check that out.

mineallmine Wed 28-Dec-16 09:15:15

That would be lovely painted and with new knobs. I'll second autentico paint. They do an eggshell paint which doesn't need a wax finishe. It just needs two coats of paint. I was sceptical at first (daughter of a painter so was raised with the mantra preparation preparation preparation) but I'm a total convert now.

Also if you're cash strapped and not in a huge hurry, aliexpress.com have tons of knobs etc REALLY cheap.

LowDudgeon Wed 28-Dec-16 13:36:22

Try eBay for knobs smile

m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=small+brass+knobs&isNewKw=1&isRefine=true&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC2.Xbrass+knobs&sqp=brass+knobs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now