Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Protecting wooden worktop/Osmo oil

(8 Posts)
lubbalubba Sun 18-Dec-16 17:29:23

We're thinking of getting an IKEA oak worktop for our new kitchen. I know. Have read plenty of threads about the hassle they can cause, but it just looks so much nicer than anything else in our budget...

Osmo oil sounds like the best way to protect them - has anyone used that and still found their worktop went mouldy? Or know of a better way to protect them round the sink etc?

PolterGoose Sun 18-Dec-16 17:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amazonianwoman Sun 18-Dec-16 20:43:45

I have teak (I think) worktop on island - with undermounted sink. I put about 3 coats of Osmo on 3 years ago and haven't reapplied since blush Parts are dull where DCs do homework, but no blackening at all, even around sink still looks amazing. Sanding and oiling on list of jobs this week...

lionsleepstonight Sun 18-Dec-16 22:40:01

I did about 5 coats prior to fitting and the 3 more in situ. Had them now two years and reapplied once or twice and no mould/blackening. I have a few ring marks which mostly sanded away. Not in love with wood, as this is my first time with them. Works really well on the island but potential damage risk around sink and hob too high for my comfort!

lionsleepstonight Sun 18-Dec-16 22:41:49

And I'm always wiping wet drips etc from around the sink. I think if you're not 'on it' you've more risk of marks.

MarshaBrady Sun 18-Dec-16 22:42:55

I've found it very good, no marks so far.

lubbalubba Tue 20-Dec-16 13:37:41

Thanks all! Sounds fairly encouraging. Think we're going to give it a go.

SallyJJ Mon 09-Jan-17 17:01:37

Just wondering how you got on with your Osmo oil? Have done quite a bit of research (thanks to these threads came across Osmo!) and plan to do one coat of Osmo Wood Protector and then 2 coats of Osmo Polyx oil. Just wondering how to seal the edges next to the tiles and also especially the sink to make sure it's water tight? Not clear anywhere if normal waterproof sealants stick to the Osmo coating - and also not much info on Osmo's Gap Sealer & whether it's suitable for sealing in a sink.

Any info much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now