Talk

Advanced search

Does your house just not suit some colours?

(5 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 10-Dec-16 21:54:38

We wanted really light colours here, but they look awful. I under coated the hall in white and instead of looking bright and fresh it looks dull as dishwater.

Dark colours really suit the rooms though. Our hallway is likely to be brassica and that's such a dark colour.

Kokapetl Sat 10-Dec-16 22:49:51

If you have a North facing room or similar then a pure white will look dull. But there are so many different subtle tones of white that you can go for which will warm up a room and make it feel brighter and warmer without anyone noticing it's not actually white.

I've chosen an orangy yellow white for the woodwork in my hall to make the very pale gray walls look light blue. It really changes the perception of the gray and warms and brightens too. But no one would look at it and say it wasn't white, still.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Dec-16 08:36:11

It's one of those slanted houses, two joined together on an angle.

The hall is south facing, I thought the white would look good but it's dull. It makes no sense.

ChishandFips33 Thu 22-Dec-16 00:18:18

In my old house I favoured cream - and I hated white - so cold and unwelcoming

In this house, same aspect, age, similar style, and cream looks terrible!

Some rooms are white (not PBW) some timeless and some natural calico.

Our sitting room is dark and moody (South facing), as is the bathroom (North facing) - both don't feel right bright and light

The second sitting room, South facing, is white and light grey - it doesn't suit dark colours

Lots of trial and error - tester pots and knocking leftovers from your mates

ChishandFips33 Thu 22-Dec-16 00:18:34

Nicking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now