Talk

Advanced search

Carpet advice for stairs

(6 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Sun 27-Nov-16 18:26:16

We'll be decorating our hallway early next year and I need to start thinking about carpet for the stairs. We live in a fairly small terrace. You come through the front door onto a small square of hallway (about 1m2) and either go straight upstairs or through a door into the front room. We're quite outdoorsy so mud, sand, dust and dirt will come into the house so it will need to be an easy to clean carpet or good at hiding dirt. We've used lots of neutral colours and plan to paint the hallway either a creamy or slightly stoney colour. We have no pets but a 20mo and 3 year old. I'm only really interested in natural materials, wool probably best? I've looked at the stripy Kersaint-Cobb carpets so far. Any tips? Suggestions? Recommendations?

wowfudge Mon 28-Nov-16 07:47:08

Go for 80:20 wool: polypropylene mix as that's the hardest wearing. Don't choose a looped carpet as for stairs the carpet is cut into pieces and the loops can start coming undone in a way a cut or twist pile doesn't. Choose a mid colour that hides muck and fluff, preferably a flecked one which is a mix or similar colours. Very dark and very light and solid colours show every speck of dirt.

WittgensteinsBunny Tue 29-Nov-16 15:26:26

Thank you very much for the advice smile

ggirl Wed 30-Nov-16 09:15:13

We've just carpeted our stairs , it's much better at hiding the mess than our last carpet.

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Wed 30-Nov-16 09:26:39

I did my stairs etc in cream polypropylene carpet, the type you can scrub and bleach. It still looks lovely years later, despite two DC's and a very hairy shedding dog. It was scrubbed and bleached often - even red wine was defeated. If I recall it wasn't cheap but has been money well spent.

slinkysaluki Fri 02-Dec-16 07:52:45

Girl your carpet looks lovely. OP what about seagrass, it's hard-wearing and natural im thinking about it for my stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now