Would you get laminate flooring that doesn't match other wooden units?!

(10 Posts)
ElspethFlashman Thu 24-Nov-16 14:27:22

Behold the laminate I have fallen for!

It's gorgeous, really rustic and natural with black joins so it actually looks real. It's called Reclaimed Chesnut Natural.

BUT there are built in cupboards and a big wooden mantelpiece all in cherrywood, or what looks like it. That deep reddish tone. It's also very non-rustic indeed in style. Kinda prissy tbh.

Is it mix and match too far?

How much should laminate match other wood? Should I be better off with a blander, beiger laminate to not fight with the cherry wood?

TIA!

CoryDunford Sat 26-Nov-16 11:54:44

If you're using two different 'woods' I always think its best to make sure they're as different as possible.

If you try and match them it looks like you've tried to match them which looks a bit odd imo. Better to mix things up i think

HappydaysArehere Mon 28-Nov-16 08:38:35

Think this would work well. Agree can never match woods. Sounds like a good contrast. Can you get a sample to take home?

atticusclaw2 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:40:24

Can you paint the units?

Bluntness100 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:45:13

I'd also agree don't match, so would work well, and maybe paint the units.

LadyB49 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:46:46

I have mixed woods. Beech on floor which is still perfect after 12 years. Got tired of my rustic chest/coffee table etc and have painted them ivory and sage green. Then painted one wall green, and painted the brick fireplace ivory using masonry paint. Looks brilliant and cost next to nothing for an entirely new look.

LadyPenelope68 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:52:33

Don't try and match, it will just look naff. Always better to have different woods.

ElspethFlashman Mon 28-Nov-16 09:24:03

Thanks all, I have a sample but am wobbling. It's like the floor would be "rustic hipster" and the units are "granny's China cabinet". They were obviously here before we moved in and the cherry wood is so expensive looking I am loath to change it. There's a beautiful carved cherry wood mantelpiece too.

I think it may be one of those situations where the contrast in styles is too great.

I may have to look at a blonder blander floor, maybe?

atticusclaw2 Mon 28-Nov-16 09:32:39

I think youre right to be wary. The different woods can work but they need to tone IMO and also need to be right in terms of style.

You clearly don't like the kitchen. I'd get the floor you like and get the cabinets painted and handles switched out.

HanLouRich Tue 29-Nov-16 14:22:44

Hi Elspeth, as you're fearing, sometimes too much contrast just doesn't work. Cherrywood is very vibrant and brimming with red tones so I'd suggest a neutral floor to balance the look in the room. Do you have any images of the units - would love to suggest some wood colours for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now