Talk

Advanced search

Help to decorate my 9 year old son's room

(8 Posts)
Ohfurfoxsake Mon 21-Nov-16 22:15:53

Hi,

I plan to decorate my son's room in time for Christmas but just cannot think of what colours/theme if any to use. As he is 9 I'm hoping the style will last him for a few years so can't be too young looking if you can see what I mean. He has white furniture and planned on painting it light grey and putting a blue on one of the walls but I've had every room in my house grey at one point and it's getting a bit old now! What do your 9 year olds rooms look like? I also thought about making it subtly minecraft themed but then thought he might grow out of that within a year although I doubt it

atticusclaw2 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:17:23

DS2s is navy and white. It looks lovely but my advice is don't paint the walls navy. Every time they are knocked the marks left are really obvious because they're white. I spend a lot of time touching up with a felt tip

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 21-Nov-16 22:21:59

DS9 has white walls, distressed white painted floorboards and black furniture.

aunicornisnotjustforchristmas Sun 27-Nov-16 08:41:03

What's his favourite colour? Work from there.
I'm probably biased but I love grey and would happily have it in every room. It's a nice neutral which you can then personalise and use accent colours such as blue, red, green or pink (ds1's favourite colour is pink!)
Is he into gaming? Sports? Lego?

LadyPenelope68 Sun 27-Nov-16 08:48:50

If you've got white furniture, how about painting the walls grey (which he won't grow out of) and then use the bedding, lamps, curtains etc to complete the rest of the room with a particular colour/theme. You can then change those bits if/when he grows out of them.

Fantasticmissfoxy Tue 29-Nov-16 09:12:20

We've just done DS(8)'s room and went for a sort of Scandinavian mid century type feel - white walls and bleached oak floor, teal chevron wallpaper in the alcoves (meant we only needed a couple of rolls) grey 2 seat sofa and rustic wood desk and chest of drawers. His bedside tables are yellow and we've used cooper lights and accessories, and sheepskin rugs either side of his bed.

It's quite grown up but colourful at the same time. He's also minecraft crazy so I got him some Dan TDM / Stampy posters and framed them for the wall, and some minecraft cushions for his bed.

worldsworstchildren Mon 05-Dec-16 21:39:02

I'm just about to do my sons in the new year. We're going to get a mural for one wall and the rest will be neutral with navy/white/red bedding. He either wants a world map or q graffiti mural. They're very cheap but fiddly to put up.

pinkmagic1 Mon 05-Dec-16 21:44:40

My ds is 12 and has orange walls (his favourite colour)blue accessories and one wall in a graffiti patern wallpaper. Bright and cheerful but still grown up and should last him a few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now