Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy curtain poles?

(13 Posts)
Trills Sun 06-Nov-16 14:33:39

Are they all much of a muchness?

Should I just browse IKEA/Argos/Tesco Direct for some that I like the look of?

Or is there some important quality that I must be looking for, beyond "is a pole, is the right length to go above my window"?

legotits Sun 06-Nov-16 14:38:51

I've wondered this Trills

The Ikea or BnM cheapo ones are a bit flimsier but one the curtains are up look like a curtain pole.

The nice ornate one I paid an unreasonable amount of money from tkmaxx feels slightly heavier. Makes no difference though because it looks like a pole with curtains on it.

Nowt to justify the quadrupled price unless you want to hit a burglar or some other purpose confused

glitterandtinsel Sun 06-Nov-16 14:39:39

Ikea.

Trills Sun 06-Nov-16 14:40:40

I don't have a cat or toddler who is likely to try to climb up the curtains, so not particular need for a "stronger" pole.

legotits Sun 06-Nov-16 14:50:37

Upstairs I use brackets like these with net rods in.
garden canes

Cheap voiles that slot on the rods and a cat who is a prick and climbs em.

You can probably tell I'm still sore from spending £90 on a stick. A nice tkmaxx ornate stick, but a stick.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sun 06-Nov-16 17:49:59

Dunelm have a reasonable selection smile

SealSong Sun 06-Nov-16 17:53:23

The Range or Dunelm.
B&Q also have an ok range

Flumplet Sun 06-Nov-16 18:07:40

We got a lovely one in Wilkinsons.

Trills Mon 07-Nov-16 07:43:02

So is it really just "pick one you like the look of"? That seems suspiciously simple.

Endmoor1405 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:35:50

Unless you specifically want ones made from oak or some other actual wood, or you want ones that have a built in pulley track so you don't have to shut them yourself (oh the hardship!!) I would just find whatever you like the look of and don't mind the price of either! I've had ones from all over and I can honestly say it's more about the person putting them up correctly (and not dangling toddlers and cats from them) than the price of the pole itself!

finallyhavesometime Tue 08-Nov-16 09:27:27

I was thinking of trying this company www.walcothouse.com as they look much more robust, because I've had problems with the cheap ones bowing and the brackets bending (my curtains are quite heavy), but I wanted to know if anyone else had tried them?

finallyhavesometime Tue 08-Nov-16 09:27:46

I was thinking of trying this company www.walcothouse.com as they look much more robust, because I've had problems with the cheap ones bowing and the brackets bending (my curtains are quite heavy), but I wanted to know if anyone else had tried them?

champagnefromapapercup Tue 08-Nov-16 09:31:21

Yes pick what you like within your set budget.

However. I bought a pole from Argos. Said medium weight I think. Aka was better than a lightweight net curtain one and it came out of the wall. I was hanging heavy curtains but also screws and fittings it came with were rubbish. It doesn't look wonderful quality at the curtain rings but it's literally a curtain pole. It's been rehung and is stronger now. I'd rather hang lovely curtains on a basic pole than cheap curtains on a good pole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now