Talk

Advanced search

Photos - PLEASE help arrange my impossible lounge!

(21 Posts)
littlecupcake Thu 27-Oct-16 12:09:24

I have a ridiculous T-shaped lounge diner which I find impossible to arrange in a way that feels cosy and homely. It's a lovely size, but I just can't find the right way to put the furniture in it. So, wise MNetters, what would you do if it were yours?

We are talking about moving the radiator that is on the long wall (but not sure where to!) and my most recent wild idea is to square the room off a bit by moving the door to the hallway, so that the understairs cupboard would be in the hall rather than tucked around the side of the lounge. That little corner is dead space and we could utilise the storage space better if it were in the hall (I think!). I always feel like there's something going on behind me when I sit in the small sofa, and find it impossible to relax!

Any suggestions welcome!!

User568945 Thu 27-Oct-16 12:26:58

Would re-hanging the door to the hall on the other side help? Move the big sofa closer to the conservatory door? Is the smaller sofa used for watching the TV? If not, could it go in front of the radiator on the long wall. Wouldn't choose to move a radiator unless absolutely necessary! Just random suggestions - sorry!

littlecupcake Thu 27-Oct-16 12:45:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Misselthwaite Fri 28-Oct-16 00:21:29

I think the new wall would be better. Would you have a door in that wall or not?

If you could not have a door and then move radiator to new wall. Centre TV unit so its more to the left and in line with table. Get nice circular rug and buy small armchair or tub chair for opposite small sofa. Move large sofa a bit closer to TV. Read up on rug sizes to make sure you get it right.

Dolceandgabbana14 Wed 15-Feb-17 13:29:59

After another failed attempt at moving the furniture around I'm having another hopeful bump!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 16-Feb-17 06:35:56

If you add sizes to your plans - I'll set this as a project for my intern on Friday /Monday if you like ?!

Dolceandgabbana14 Thu 16-Feb-17 07:27:54

Thanks so much, OnePlanOnHouzz, that would be absolutely brilliant! I'll do some measuring and will post again later this morning.

Dolceandgabbana14 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:37:01

Hi OnePlanOnHouzz, so sorry for not doing this yesterday, hope it's not too late for you to give to your intern today.

I've taken the measurements and added them to my plan, which is definitely not to scale! I'll add the estate agent's floorplan to give you a better idea of proportion.

At the moment our dining table is between the kitchen door and the window, but it could go in the conservatory (we'd just need to sort out better heating and some blinds)! I'll list the furniture and approximate sizes in a minute.

I can't wait to see what he/she comes up with.

Dolceandgabbana14 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:03:12

Here we go... The furniture and sizes.

I don't think DH will let me buy a new suite but the armchair is enormous and I've almost convinced him that it's too big.

If you need anything else just give me a shout!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 18-Feb-17 20:13:47

Hi - thanks for adding the sizes ! I've added it to our work sheet for next week !

Dolceandgabbana14 Sat 18-Feb-17 23:08:07

You are a star... Thanks so much. Been moving furniture around all of half term and DH rolls his eyes every time he comes home from work to find its changed again grin

bojorojo Sun 19-Feb-17 00:38:58

I would knock down the wall between the kitchen and the dining area. Where you have the table is pokey and it would feel so much more spacious without a wall. Have a kitchen/diner!

Both your settees give a good view of the radiator so that is unpleasant. Could you get a tall slim one and move it towards the hall? At least you could then put the tv in the corner that is near the conservatory. Or include the conservatory in the lounge. Make it part of the room and rebuild it? You have a room with no window to the outside - just into another room!

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 21-Feb-17 08:17:34

Just dropped the images into an iCloud folder for you !

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0aGdIshaSkhYR

smile

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 22-Feb-17 06:26:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EyeStye Wed 22-Feb-17 06:44:33

Fab planning for the OP oneplan! Cld you PM me a link to your services? Thank you!

Mooey89 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:00:25

oneplan that plan is amazing!!
I think OP had a name change halfway through the thread so I'll call her back under the name change too @Dolceandgabbana14

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 22-Feb-17 07:10:49

Thanks guys !!!

Eyestye - I'm on the app at the moment - so can't PM you ?! ( forgotten my password for web version ) I'll see if I can add my www to a comment on the drawing - if you are viewing on a big screen it's on the logo that automatically is added when we save a view.

Dolceandgabbana14 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:04:22

Hi OnePlanOnHouzz
Apologies for not getting back to you, yesterday was one of those days when my feet didn't touch the floor!
Thank you so much for the plans... They are amazing! It looks like there is a lot more space and there are 'zones' and a rug to bring it all together! I'm looking forward to having a play around with furniture later on to see it in real life. I'll report back!

Please say a big thank you to your intern, I really was beginning to despair of this room. And she's (he's?) managed to produce this without costly work to move walls etc.

Thank you again flowers

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 22-Feb-17 08:50:57

My intern ( she ) was a bit stumped so it turned into a lesson !! All good learning curve for her !
Happy we could help !

tabithasgran Thu 02-Mar-17 05:09:10

(Place marking for finished pics )

sashh Thu 02-Mar-17 06:09:44

Depending on your household size/ages I'd move the TV to where the table is and have a sofa or two there as a 'TV corner', then put a table near the conservatory and use the 'left over' space to put a couple of chairs or another sofa.

Sort of a large dinging room with a sofa/comfy chairs at one end and then the TV just off in the other bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now