Talk

Advanced search

Cosy living room, no fireplace

(5 Posts)
PotatoHolic Tue 25-Oct-16 21:47:19

Rented property but all furnishings are mine. I have a tan leather sofa which I love. Walls are magnolia and will have to stay that way. I would like the room to feel cosy and autumnal. Hoping to buy our own house in the next twelve months so will buy stuff that can be taken to new house. Spent all evening on Pinterest, all cosy looking rooms have fireplaces. Any ideas?

ColdFeetAndHotCakes Tue 25-Oct-16 22:00:24

A lovely big cozy throw and a few similar coloured cushions on the sofa. Home Sense always has loads of throws and they have some lovely ones in at this time of year. Asda are good for big comfy sofa cushions, I bought a lovely mustard coloured one from there last week for £7.

We also have a lovely little display of things I've gathered up in the corner of the room on an extended window ledge. We have 2 large wooden mushrooms and several smaller felt ones in different colours, several pine cones I've painted in silver and gold, a massive pine cone we found on a walk, a small cactus, couple of winter berry scented candles, and a "munchkin pumpkin" from Tesco (cost £1/2 I think). It really needn't be expensive, just gather a few little bits that take your fancy from outside, clippings of holly, conkers, pine cones, pretty leaves etc.

In the evening with the candles on everything just feels that more cozy snuggled up under a good throw with our little seasonal display in the corner.

WutheringFrights Tue 25-Oct-16 23:17:01

I've been trying to autumnify my lounge too and have sent the kids out collecting leaves and stuff in an attempt to recreate what ColdFeet has suggested.

The outcome of this foraging is shown in the attached photo, which looks like autumn has vomited on my mantlepiece.

You don't have to have a mantlepiece for this particularly style autumn can vomit anywhere. You could just use a shelf?

I told my DH I was going to tell people the children created it. They didn't, they are in bed.

But yes, blankets and cozy cushions and muted lights are the way to go have you searched for 'Hygge' it seems to be all the rage!

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:57:59

Are you allowed to put anything on walls? I would say that ways of cosying up would be to have nice pics/photos up, use tactile soft furnishings (rugs, cushions, curtains, sheep skins), add little lamps and/ or fairy lights and plants. Avoid too much metal or glass.

PotatoHolic Wed 26-Oct-16 15:58:01

Thanks! I love the colours of the cushions on that couch jojo

Yes I think more cushions, throws and a rug are a good starting point. I've actually been looking at some solid oak furniture. I'm wondering if it will date though....?

wuthering Autumn vomit! Hahaha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now