Oak beam mantel fireplace - what colour hearth?

(5 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Thu 20-Oct-16 23:40:35

I'm about to re-do the fireplace in the lounge. I inherited a Rearsby stone fireplace and gas fire (Taylormade Fireplaces) from the previous owner.

I doubt it was cheap but imo it doesn't suit the style of the lounge. I also find the gas fire hugely inefficient, most of the heat disappears up the chimney hmm

So I've decided to go for the ubiquitous floating oak mantel and woodburner smile
Ideally I'd love a real woodburner but a) I'm not around much evenings and weekends to enjoy it b) the central heating is almost too efficient and c) I picked up an electric stove (I know) in the summer for a stupidly small sum. My plan is to use it as a decorative focal point and just turn the flame effect on grin

I'm now stuck on the hearth. The majority of photos I've Pinterested have that black shiny (slate? granite?) hearth. I think I fancy something lighter, as I'm not going to have soot to disguise.
I quite like the riven effect too. Hate marble or anything sand-toned. Love light/medium grey! Maybe even darker grey (e.g. slate) but not black.

Can anyone advise what sort of thing I should be searching for? Tiles? I'm also planning to take the carpet up and sand and stain the floorboards.

milkysmum Fri 21-Oct-16 06:40:37

Following with interest as planning something similar in our room soon. I am thinking of decorating in a very pale grey so probably need some type of charcoal colour Harth but haven't actually got as far of looking yet

Ditsy4 Fri 21-Oct-16 21:43:21

We have a multi fuel stove on a sandstone hearth. It is local stone which has a pinky terracotta tinge.

JT05 Sat 22-Oct-16 20:31:22

We have Matt slate, but DS has limestone sets ( smallish, pale, thick tiles ), they have fossils in some of them.
They were in the house when he bought it, but they look lovely.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 22-Oct-16 22:07:06

Thanks everyone grin

I went along to Topps Tiles to see a few in person which was really helpful.

Going to go back in the week when it's less busy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now