Talk

Advanced search

How can I revamp my lounge?

(34 Posts)
GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 07:02:24

We live in a cottage with logburner/beams and all very neutrally decorated. At present we have a brown leather corner sofa, and mocha carpets all the way through. I feel it seems boring. I'm thinking to change curtains/cushions on sofa to have a change. What else can I do.? I don't want to start painting hmm

PurpleDaisies Sat 15-Oct-16 07:06:51

New artwork or lighting?

barefootinkitchen Sat 15-Oct-16 07:16:10

Agree with cushions. If it all seems a bit brown - maybe a rug? Then add a big plant, colourful artwork?

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 07:54:44

Yes I have a grey rug from ikea it's a shaggy one, and my curtains are red and my cushions are grey and red next ones. It just feels dull blush

Excusemyfrench Sat 15-Oct-16 07:56:14

Hello!

If you post a picture it will be easier to advise smile x

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:02:37

Hey good idea. I will just tidy round and take a few pics thanks

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:26:06

It's a small room so I've done my best taking a few pics

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:27:05

This is fireplace

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:30:46

Should I take more?

Ihearthickson Sat 15-Oct-16 08:32:45

I'd chose curtains in a much lighter colour and patterned. The dark red ones seem to be sucking light out of the room. Large mirror above your sofa to bounce some light about and a light coloured throw and cushions.

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:38:00

So the mirror above sofa not fireplace? We only bought the property recently so haven't don't much with it tbh. Do you think get rid of the red/brown/grey?? X

Ihearthickson Sat 15-Oct-16 08:43:33

Personally I'd go with two mirrors - but I may be in the minority there. I've just found a couple of room photos online that are predominantly brown which might help/inspire think the key is getting as much light as possible in there and paler curtains, cushions and some plants.

barefootinkitchen Sat 15-Oct-16 08:46:27

If the mirror goes above the sofa put some art above the fireplace. Alternatively keep it where it is but but some colour on the wall above the sofa. You could do one big piece or lots of small frames in a gallery wall. I'd use the art colours to help choose the cushions. Agree with pp to go lighter. I guess you want to lighten things up. Would you consider a light colour for your curtains? A natural coloured fabric. I'd use those shelves to inject a bit of colour too. A bit of greenery always freshens up a space. Plant, cuttings in a jar. Quite into this topic as in the middle of decorating new place myself.

DoItTooJulia Sat 15-Oct-16 08:47:39

The deep red with the brown is making it seem dark. And everything is very plain.

I'd go for lighter coloured curtains with a splash of colour. Whatever splash of colour you have, you could incorporate into cushions and a lamp?

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:49:14

Oh my gosh yes I can totally see the difference! Wow you have given me some insipation. Thanks very much. Also in my fire place it's painted red not sure if you could see from pics. Do you think if I painted this a light grey that would open it up a bit too as it looks very dark.

GizmoFrisby Sat 15-Oct-16 08:50:10

It was like this when we bought itsmile

Ihearthickson Sat 15-Oct-16 08:55:00

The red is rather dated, so yes I'd go with a paler colour in the fireplace. If budget allows in time, I'd perhaps change the carpets or sofa or table to a paler colour to break all the brown up but I think changing the curtains and cushions would make a big difference now.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Sat 15-Oct-16 09:00:23

Depends (the fireplace) - lighter might be nice but will it show up all the fireplace related dust? Could still go lighter than the deep red it currently is though.

The red/brown seems quite overwhelming at the moment but it doesn't quite tie together as a theme. Perhaps either replace carpet or paint walls? Or both?

Crown Smoulder is my best friend - it is a deep grey but it's sort of purplish, storm-cloud grey? Very cosy and snug feeling, but doesn't feel gloomy.

Nice rug, curtains, cushions in an accent colour? Statement lamp?

Ihearthickson Sat 15-Oct-16 09:02:58

Maybe some curtains like this? The grey would tie in with your rug and you could pick out yellow cushions etc. The

NoCapes Sat 15-Oct-16 09:05:05

Is definitely replace all the red, I'd probably go for a nice olive green

Also a new coffee table, that once looks very dated

inmyheadimthequeen Sat 15-Oct-16 09:07:48

Although if you haven't been in the house long, maybe live with it a while before you make big and expensive carpet/sofa/fireplace decisions. I agree with others though that the dark red and grey accents aren't helping so for a short-term fix I would change curtains to something lighter with a pattern - maybe a mustardy yellow? With accent cushions, a nice lamp or two and I would replace the wooden coffee table with something different, maybe glass.

londonginge Sat 15-Oct-16 09:08:51

I'd go for mirrors and table lamps for more light and then light tartan, cream knit and those deer style/illustrated forest animal cushions, and a pale throw to again lighten up the dark wood and still keep it cosy.

Broombroom Sat 15-Oct-16 09:14:04

agree to lighter curtains and plant. And a rug like this (Pinterest)

londonginge Sat 15-Oct-16 09:14:45

And yes to light Grey fireplace. Big fan of dulux chic shadow

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 15-Oct-16 09:31:44

I've just used some chalk paint from B&Q, to revamp a dark wood, nest of tables, it's really helped to brighten a corner of the room.
If you have anything similar, it's dead easy to use, just slap it on, you'll be amazed! 😄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now